Hen struggling to breathe

Hi, thanks for checking in. I'm still having to hold her upside down to regulate her breathing and make her more comfortable,
I won't tell you to absolutely not do that since only you are there with her, and you believe it helps her breathe better. If you followed advice to not hold her upside down and she dies, you will be left wondering if she would have lived longer if you had continued to do so. Since her comb has grown more purple, she's clearly not doing well anyway. (I'm sorry.) But here is info that explains why holding a chicken upside down is not a good idea.
https://www.thefeatherbrain.com/blog/holding-a-chicken-upside-down

I haven't ever used VetRx so have no input there. Maybe someone who has used it and had success will reply.

I won't tell you to absolutely not do that since only you are there with her, and you believe it helps her breathe better. If you followed advice to not hold her upside down and she dies, you will be left wondering if she would have lived longer if you had continued to do so. Since her comb has grown more purple, she's clearly not doing well anyway. (I'm sorry.) But here is info that explains why holding a chicken upside down is not a good idea.
https://www.thefeatherbrain.com/blog/holding-a-chicken-upside-down

I haven't ever used VetRx so have no input there. Maybe someone who has used it and had success will reply.
Ok thanks for your advice. However I don't quite understand how holding her upside down means 'she can't breathe' if what I'm actually doing seems to be relieving whatever is stopping her from not being able to breathe in the first place? :confused: I just don't understand how that works? Why is it making her breathe better?

Ok thanks for your advice. However I don't quite understand how holding her upside down means 'she can't breathe' if what I'm actually doing seems to be relieving whatever is stopping her from not being able to breathe in the first place? :confused: I just don't understand how that works? Why is it making her breathe better?
I get what you are saying, and the article I linked was simply a general explanation as to why it's not good to hold a chicken upside down. Why your doing so seems to help her breathing idk.

Last edited:
Hi everyone. For the last couple of days I've had a hen who is having difficulty breathing, but when I hold her upside down it seems to regulate her breathing and she will be okay for 20 minutes or so and then start gasping for air again. I'm not sure what to do or if there is anything I can give to help her?
Hello Crazyabouthens:
Have you checked her belly ? One of my girls seemed to be waddling and her belly felt like a water balloon. She also was open beak breathing and struggling. I found a video in YouTube about a thing called “water belly” that sure sounded like her symptoms and presentation. Caused by overweight or age, it is a condition that is manageable but not curable. My hen still needs treatments but done well. But it obviously has a decrease in lung capacity from the way you describe it.

How old is your hen? Do you have any known respiratory diseases within your flock, and/or have you recently introduced new birds into your flock?

Scratch my second question. I skimmed through other threads you have made, and it appears you do have a respiratory illness in your flock, possibly Mycoplasma gallisepticum (MG) based on the symptoms you reported. If the issue is MG, you can treat the symptoms with either tylosin or tiamulin (Denagard). But I also see you live in the UK. Can you get either of the meds I llsted there?

In your other thread, I saw one of your other birds died. If this hen succumbs, are you able to have an official necropsy done? If so, it would be well worth it to know what she died from. Because even though birds exposed to respiratory illnesses remain carriers for life and will infect future birds you add to your flock, there are various meds that can treat symptoms. Tylosin and tiamulin are only effective against mycoplasma, and of course no antibiotics will help viral infections, so it would be extremely useful to know what lurks within your flock.
I agree mostly with what Allsfairinloveandbug. When some of my hens's got respiratory infection, I had to give them shots in the breast area but they get better.

Hi everyone. For the last couple of days I've had a hen who is having difficulty breathing, but when I hold her upside down it seems to regulate her breathing and she will be okay for 20 minutes or so and then start gasping for air again. I'm not sure what to do or if there is anything I can give to help her?
Weve been having heat and air advisorys all summer, you have to change their water at least twice a day, chickens dont like warm water and they will do without as much as possible if its not cold, you can even throw ice cubes in it they love that. Holding them upside down is not good for them at all, they can have a heart attack and die fairly quickly. Just make sure she has a good air flow and cool water through the harsh weather conditions and the air flow just needs to be like outside wind outside of the coop.

Weve been having heat and air advisorys all summer, you have to change their water at least twice a day, chickens dont like warm water and they will do without as much as possible if its not cold, you can even throw ice cubes in it they love that. Holding them upside down is not good for them at all, they can have a heart attack and die fairly quickly. Just make sure she has a good air flow and cool water through the harsh weather conditions and the air flow just needs to be like outside wind outside of the coop.
We live in Scotland and the weather here hasn't been like yours at all. Just now it's a good temperature for the chickens, and I haven't seen any of them struggling with the weather at all this summer, it's mainly cool and/or rain, so I don't think it's related to that. Thanks for your advice though!

Back
Top Bottom