Hen struggling to breathe

You can worm your flock with Flubenvet in the feed there in the UK. You also probably can find Panacur 10% horse paste 1/4 ml per pound for 5 consecutive days, and that can treat most all worms including gapeworm and capillary worms that might cause breathing issues. If you use Panacur for dogs, then we would need to know the strength to refigure dosage. Sorry about your chicken.

There are so many things that this could be sadly. Anyway you can upload a video to you tube and share the link here? Not that this is the problem with your hen, but my production sex link had respiratory problems that were the beginning of Egg Laying Peritonitis (EYP) since your girl is ex-battery, this was the first thing that came to mind- especially with the purple comb description. Are there any other obvious symptoms you can share? Is she still able to eat or drink? Is she walking or standing? Let us know so we can possibly hone in on why she is having these respiratory issues. I an keeping you and her (does she have a name?) In my thoughts ❤️

I’m sorry for the ill chicken. Because I have very little experience with sick (respiratory problems) chickens or ex-batt’s myself I really can’t help. But I am sure others already did or will after you post a video.

@Shadrach has experience with both and lives in the UK. Maybe he can help from a distance?

You can worm your flock with Flubenvet in the feed there in the UK. You also probably can find Panacur 10% horse paste 1/4 ml per pound for 5 consecutive days, and that can treat most all worms including gapeworm and capillary worms that might cause breathing issues. If you use Panacur for dogs, then we would need to know the strength to refigure dosage. Sorry about your chicken.
Ok thank you, I will try and see if I can get ahold of either of those. I was just wondering, I usually give my chickens 'VermX layers pellets' every 3-5 months as a de wormer but what is your thoughts on this? It is any good? Am I wasting my money? Just so I know before I go and buy another bag as its nearly coming to that time again. Thanks again for your help

There are so many things that this could be sadly. Anyway you can upload a video to you tube and share the link here? Not that this is the problem with your hen, but my production sex link had respiratory problems that were the beginning of Egg Laying Peritonitis (EYP) since your girl is ex-battery, this was the first thing that came to mind- especially with the purple comb description. Are there any other obvious symptoms you can share? Is she still able to eat or drink? Is she walking or standing? Let us know so we can possibly hone in on why she is having these respiratory issues. I an keeping you and her (does she have a name?) In my thoughts ❤️
I will try my best to get a video sorted today 🙏 She is looking quite lethargic, hasn't really eaten or drank much in the past few days and poops are very runny. Thank you, her name is Summer ☀️

Does she have any fluid in her abdomen below the vent between her legs or a feeling of air pockets under the skin around any of the 9 air sacs throughout the body?
Hi, this may sound like a silly question but would the "fluid in her abdomen" feel the same as what waterbelly would feel like in a chicken? If so, then no I can't feel that or any air sacks

How is Summer doing today? Any change in her breathing? Any other symptoms, photos or updates?
Hi, thanks for checking in. I'm still having to hold her upside down to regulate her breathing and make her more comfortable, she hasn't eaten a lot but I have seen her trying to eat and last night when I offered her a drink she took a few sips but every time she did she kept sneezing. She can still walk about, but isn't interested in walking far or going outside. She has also got a bit of a smelly/poppy bum. Also to mention she has had a lot more of a purple comb the last few days.:(
Screenshot_20230731_150515_Chrome.jpg
i was thinking of ordering this for her to see If it helps, but what is your thoughts? I wad also wondering if I should get some VermX layers pelletes for the whole flock.
Any ideas would be helpful
Thank you :love
@Allsfairinloveandbugs

Back
Top Bottom