hen:swollen eyes, bluish wattle, no other symptoms

LizaBlue

Songster
9 Years
Oct 26, 2010
Wee Acres
Was out handfeeding my chickens earlier and realized one of my Australorps had eyes that looked like my turkeys: deepset with blue grey around them. Thought maybe it was just a "maturing" thing, until I realized she was the only one like that. Then I noticed one of her wattles was shades of white/blue/purple/red instead of just red. Finally figured out that the "deep set" look was swelling around the eye - the wattles don't look swollen, and she ran off before I could find out if her body was swollen or if she was just fluffy in the wind. All our poultry seem lively, and egg production was down the other day, but I think that was more of a collection problem (saw someone in the outside box which hasn't been used or checked since summer - an egg left there is rat bait). One of the hens was rather sneezy this morning, and it didn't sound like the normal "morning dust in my beak" sneeze, but I don't think it was the swollen eye one, and I was feeding them some cracked corn that had a lot of fine bits that could have got up her nose. The birds have a large yard to range in, they get feed, cracked corn, and today's treats were a small pack of berry applesauce and a can of peas. The turkeys seem healthy, and except for the sneezer (who stopped) and Ms. Bluewattle, all the chickens seem healthy.

So...

Any ideas? What should I go look for?

I've just read up on Coryza and Myoplasma, and they don't seem to fit with an active bird with no drainage, sneezing, and a wattle that is just discolored but not swollen. I have Sulmet, but want to avoid treating blindly. I searched on the forums, but got weird results.

Update: Ok, just brought her in for examination: she does seem to be breathing through her mouth, but not noisily. I cleaned the outside of her nares, even though they didn't seem very dirty - just a little mud from scrounging. Her appetite is definitely not down! Felt her body - no obvious swelling elsewhere. Full crop that seemed firm, but loosened immediately when I massaged it. Everyone has a full crop this morning. I forgot to "dig around" on her belly to see about eggs, just felt it, but like I said, no swelling or hardness anywhere it wasn't supposed to be. Her wattles don't have any white now, but both of them are purply towards the ends. I put some vap-o-rub under her wings after I had checked to make sure they were dry (wet= coryza, I think I read) because I didn't know what else to do and it worked on my turkey poults.

Last edited:
Here are pictures I took of her face. Poor quality phone, and the lighting didn't help either, sry. Her wattles really are bluish purple on the ends, more on one side than the other, but less so than earlier today.

70548_hen_eye_1.jpg

70548_hen_eye_2.jpg

I don't know the exact temp last night, but I'm in TN and it was warm. The low was probably no less than 58. Her eyes looked fine to me too until I realized that they were the opposite of the rest of her sisters: theirs are almost flush with their cheeks, hers cheeks are sticking out about a 1/8 in. It's hard to take a pic with a cell phone in one hand and a nervous hen in the other, lol. Normally, it's all smooth around her eyes, but today the all the tiny feathers are sticking straight up and are spaced out. Yeah, I'm worried about it being respiratory. I saw chicken anatomy on one site and hadn't realized their sinus cavities were around their eyes. That and she started mouth breathing. I don't want to have to clean the inside of the nares as I've heard done because I'm afraid I'll hurt her. At least she is still active...so far. She's got me looking at my whole crew cockeyed, worried about it being contagious.

Back
Top Bottom