hen, torn comb?

Marianne25

Songster
5 Years
Sep 1, 2015
Northwest CT (Litchfield County)
When we let the girls out to free range this morning I noticed my 17 week Golden Nugget had a bloody face. Upon closer inspection, it seems that somehow overnight in the coop she partially tore her comb. (I see blood specks on their feeder inside the coop). She is acting normally this morning, foraging, eating, etc... Should I try to clean the blood off? IS there any other treatment necessary? Will it heal/grow back?

No one seems to notice it (no one is pecking at her); of course they've only been up and about for a while so I'm not sure what may happen later.

Any advice is greatly appreciated; this is my first flock and first "medical" issue!!!! <3

Try to clean the blood off and apply some neosporin or triple antibiotic cream. If the others start pecking it you can apply some blue kote or some honey mixed with a little blue food coloring to coat the bloody area so they won't peck at it.

I wonder what would have caused the tear. Do you have a picture? It could have been a predator that tore her comb because I can't see how a chicken would in the middle of the night as they're pretty out of it at night and can barely see.

definitely not a predator. When they are outside of their fully enclosed run we are always with them. This happened sometime in the night inside the coop as I see blood specks by their feeder. I'm trying to figure out what she caught it on. Will try to get a pic later. Thanks for the advice.

I'm glad it's not a predator. You're right she probably caught it on something in the coop, hopefully it won't happen again!

Last edited:
here is a photo

Back
Top Bottom