Hen trapped under a bucket.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by DONDChick, Dec 21, 2014.

1. DONDChick

DONDChick Out Of The Brooder

Mar 18, 2013
    I had a Home Depot bucket turned inside down in the run. Last week, a girl came up missing. Because we have coyotes all around, I assumed one slipped around and got her when we were all busy around the barn. Today to my dismay, I turned over the bucket and she was under the bucket dead. How in the world did she get under it?

2. blkjak

blkjak Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2014
    Manitoba Canada
    We had this happen this summer although it was a feed dish. 1 of my barred rock pullets died when the dish flipped over on her. I think it just happens. Standing in the wrong place at the wrong time.

3. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    . My guess is that the bucket got knocked over, she got into it, panicked and turned it over on herself. I have tried to anticipate any weird thing that can happen with my chickens, because they will find a way for it to happen. I always secure doors, any objects, hang buckets, cover up or :/bend nails, pick up glass, paper, plastic, or objects that appear in the dirt. So sorry for your loss.

1 person likes this.
  4. enola

enola Overrun With Chickens

I had a pullet get caught between a horse water bucket and the growout pen fence. She had been missing for 3 days. She was dehydrated and weak, she couldn't walk for a while. But, she eventually got straightened out. She lives with a little girl now.

5. DONDChick

DONDChick Out Of The Brooder

Mar 18, 2013
    I'm just dumbfounded and feel terrible. I had no idea the opened part was face down.

6. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member Project Manager

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Don't beat yourself up, similar things have happened to many of us. Check your property for things they can get trapped in/under like buckets, tarps, tight spaces, etc. Poorly stacked bales of hay can also be hazardous.

-Kathy

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by