Hen traumatized by younger rooster

citychicks99

Songster
Aug 20, 2021
Seattle, WA
My 1.5 year-old RIR hen seems traumatized by my 5 month-old rooster since the last two weeks. She hides in the coop all day and only comes out to eat and drink when I'm there. I tried putting her in a fenced off area by herself but even seeing the rooster freaks her out. I was hoping to keep him because he doesn't crow as much as his brother and he seems pretty sweet but he's young and not very well-coordinated. When I feed him with my hand he pecks very hard and it hurts (not in a malicious way), whereas none of the other chickens go overboard like that. I can only imagine that it hurts a lot for the hen and he seems to like her very much. Is the only option to get rid of the rooster?

Not the only option. You can always separate him from everyone else for a bit to see if he can calm down.
It's only one hen who's scared of him? Does he try to mate her excessively or is she just dramatic?
Either way, some kind of separation should happen.

Not the only option. You can always separate him from everyone else for a bit to see if he can calm down.
It's only one hen who's scared of him? Does he try to mate her excessively or is she just dramatic?
Either way, some kind of separation should happen.
Yes, only that one hen.

I'm not sure if he's being excessive or if she's being dramatic. I do see him chase her every time she's out of the coop. I can try and separate him but it will have to be at night and he'd be sleeping by himself.

Back
Top Bottom