Hen tries to expel something but cant!

Unfortunately, I’m really not sure. It may just be irritated
Well in an hour i'll be closing coop, so today i won't be able to do much. I'll give a shot to aspirin (one of my hens with coryza was given aspirin for 3 days - didn't hurt her but didn't help much) and a bit of charcoal.

She got on the roost normally, didn't see her vent in the coop cuz i didn't want to stress her by grabbing her etc but when i was giving her meds the vent didn't seem swollen, the inside was hidden well... inside so it wasn't seen too (good sign i think) and vent feathers werent in new slimey thing. She took activated charcoal and aspirin and when i put her in cage she was full of energy and was getting mad about being imprisoned so i let her out. Acted pretty normally but i'll keep an eye on her as a few days ago she was pooing very long, like she couldn't.

Tums are antacids.... people take them for acid reflux and like I said, I’m not sure if the exact reason but I’ve read people using them to help with egg binding

Tums are a source of calcium. It helps with the contractions to expel an egg. If you don't have Tums, you can use a human calcium supplement.

The epsom salt bath is to help her relax her muscles, so that she can pass whatever is blocking her up. She needs to be dry before going back outside in the cold weather. A hair dryer on low works well.

She acts like she's trying to expel something but can't. Skin around her vent is exposed, just like chickens do when are about to poo, and i saw her expelling a bit of some slimey white stuff. A bit is still on her vent feathers. Texture like egg white but it is white in colour. When checking her for an egg bound i noticed that "inside" of her vent looks swollen and very red, almost like blood. At first i even though that it was the prolapsed vent but it went inside
She got on the roost normally, didn't see her vent in the coop cuz i didn't want to stress her by grabbing her etc but when i was giving her meds the vent didn't seem swollen, the inside was hidden well... inside so it wasn't seen too (good sign i think) and vent feathers werent in new slimey thing. She took activated charcoal and aspirin and when i put her in cage she was full of energy and was getting mad about being imprisoned so i let her out. Acted pretty normally but i'll keep an eye on her as a few days ago she was pooing very long, like she couldn't.
Sounds like she may be having trouble with passing an egg.
I would try to get some extra calcium into her. Do you have access to a calcium supplement you can give her? Here in the US we give Caltrate or TUMS which are easy to find.

Charcoal probably won't hurt her, but that is generally used as a flush for toxins so likely won't help with passing an egg. Aspirin is not something I personally give either, but likely it won't hurt her. Since you gave the Charcoal make sure she's drinking really well, it can be dehydrating.

Do you generally provide calcium? Here in the US many of us provide it in the form of crushed oyster shell in a separate container for our laying hens to help themselves as needed. Or is calcium included in the feed you supply?

Do you generally provide calcium? Here in the US many of us provide it in the form of crushed oyster shell in a separate container for our laying hens to help themselves as needed. Or is calcium included in the feed you supply?
They get egg shells and i've never had a problem with an egg bound. Probably it's included in feed too.

Sounds like she may be having trouble with passing an egg.
I would try to get some extra calcium into her. Do you have access to a calcium supplement you can give her? Here in the US we give Caltrate or TUMS which are easy to find.

Charcoal probably won't hurt her, but that is generally used as a flush for toxins so likely won't help with passing an egg. Aspirin is not something I personally give either, but likely it won't hurt her. Since you gave the Charcoal make sure she's drinking really well, it can be dehydrating.
today she's still alive but i'll check on her after school. I'll check if i have calcium.

today she's still alive but i'll check on her after school. I'll check if i have calcium.
she seems okay, the vent doesn't look swollen, she was nesting, and then i saw her acting normally outside. Her vent feathers are gone though. Probably other hens ate them as i noticed they are pecking and eating other chickens feathers recently.

Back
Top Bottom