Hen Vomiting Feed And Acting Sluggish

Leine

In the Brooder
Jun 4, 2017
FL, USA
Today, when I went out to feed my chickens, my young pullet was acting strange. She (I think a Brahma bantam) was sluggish and quiet. I took her out of the coop and found she had a piece of straw stuck in her throat, but when I tugged on it, it wouldn't budge. It seemed to give her difficulty, though. So I sat with her, giving her feed and water (though she didn't touch the water), and after a few minutes she starting shaking violently like a wet dog, and the feed in her crop spewed out. It was still solid, because she'd consumed it only minutes earlier.
After she spit up the feed, I was able to pull the straw out. But even without it she continued to throw up every ten minutes or so, after consuming feed. She's weak and sluggish and not keeping her food down.
Does anyone know what's wrong with her?

Is her crop full?
Can you smell her mouth...does it smell funny?

Do you offer grit?
Welcome to BYC.

She either has a disease of some kind or a piece of straw lodged in the duodenum (small intestine). Both are relatively common so I would bring her to a chicken vet to try and surgically remove the straw or you can hope that the blockage is not bad enough so that stomach acids can slowly disintegrate the straw. If your lucky that will happen and she'll be better in around 2 weeks. until then try to make her drink some kind of nutrient water to tide her over till the straw is gone. If that doesn't happen then you might lose her. Sorry if your not happy with that response. Best of luck!!!

Thank you, all, for the feedback. Unfortunately, I've been busy these last few days and had no time to take her to the vet. This morning, when I went out to feed the chickens, her body was in the run :( I buried her with the other bantams I've lost these last few months.
Thank you again for the advice.

Thank you.
I've been raising chickens for almost four years now, so I'm not unfamiliar with losing them. But it's always upsetting when you can't save one. Especially the younger ones.

Back
Top Bottom