hen vomiting thick white and yellow liquid

edgy6ellie

In the Brooder
Oct 21, 2021
ive been having many issues with my hen Pootle recently, she was very lethargic for a few weeks and wouldnt eat, she then perked up for about 2 weeks before becoming very aggressive and is now back to being lethargic and not eating. i picked her up earlier to check her for any signs of whats wrong and she vomited a thick white/clear liquid, i then did some research and went back out to have a look at her, she vomited again but this time it was a yellow liquid. the most likely cause is ascites by the looks of it but im not overly sure. any help on what it is or the best way to treat it would be greatly appreciated

Is a vet an option? Can you post a picture of her?
vets arent an option unfortunately. this is her this morning
7FED3227-E2F9-4F1D-8995-5DB22B5590B2.jpeg

What have you tried. Corid treatment? Will she drink. I personally have read many times that they can't throw up but idk.
i havent tried anything so far other than trying to get her to eat, i'll try corid treatment but its unlikely that she'll drink it as shes not drinking. yeah, they cant throw up but i couldnt think of another way to explain it

Can u get pictures of the stuff that your seeing. That will help. It my be poo and not throw up.
You can use a dropper to put small drops on the tip of her beak. She should do the rest. Don't try to force it down her just drop on Beak tip

i picked her up earlier to check her for any signs of whats wrong and she vomited a thick white/clear liquid, i then did some research and went back out to have a look at her, she vomited again but this time it was a yellow liquid. the most likely cause is ascites
Is her crop empty in the morning before she's had anything to eat or drink?
She spit up food/water when you picked her up.
Is she eating/drinking normally on her own?

When is the last time she laid an egg? Any bloat or fluid in the abdomen below the vent between her legs?
Photos of her poop?

I would look her over really well, look for bugs (lice/mites), make sure her crop is emptying overnight.
If the crop is not emptying, then address that symptom. This article is a good guideline https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/

Do take time to look inside her beak for any lesions or yellow pasty material.
If possible, take a sample of her poop to your vet to see if worms are part of the problem.

Can u get pictures of the stuff that your seeing. That will help. It my be poo and not throw up.
You can use a dropper to put small drops on the tip of her beak. She should do the rest. Don't try to force it down her just drop on Beak tip
ive tried to get pictures of it but it evaporates instantly, it looks very much like saliva. okay thank you:)

Is her crop empty in the morning before she's had anything to eat or drink?
She spit up food/water when you picked her up.
Is she eating/drinking normally on her own?

When is the last time she laid an egg? Any bloat or fluid in the abdomen below the vent between her legs?
Photos of her poop?

I would look her over really well, look for bugs (lice/mites), make sure her crop is emptying overnight.
If the crop is not emptying, then address that symptom. This article is a good guideline https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/

Do take time to look inside her beak for any lesions or yellow pasty material.
If possible, take a sample of her poop to your vet to see if worms are part of the problem.
her crop is empty in the morning and shes not eating or drinking on her own. the last time she laid an egg was around july/august last year. no fluid or anything on her body, i'll take photos of her poop as soon as she does one.
shes not got anything wrong with her that i can see physically the only other sort of sympton she has is that shes breathing with her mouth open. but everything in her beak looks fine.

I had a hen vomit similarly, and it ended up being sour crop. Is her crop completely empty in the morning, or is it possible there is some stuff left in there that you might have missed? I ask because that happened to me. I felt my girl's crop, and it felt flat af first. After she vomited, I checked again, and there was squishy stuff in the bottom still. I had to really feel around to find it. It wasnt obvious.

Back
Top Bottom