Hen w/ swollen eye shut

Frankiegirl

Crowing
May 3, 2020
SW Michigan
Good morning all -

My hen’s eye is completely swollen shut this morning. I noticed it on Saturday that it did not look normal. Last night is was worse and looked like there might be some scabbing. This morning is completely swollen shut. I am not sure if the scabbing is due to pecking from another bird or her scratching.

If anyone has suggestions to help, I would appreciate it. This little one has had a tough time over the past few months with limping and now this.

Attachments

• 64B0EE78-4914-4CE4-BB35-365B92396FDE.jpeg
    64B0EE78-4914-4CE4-BB35-365B92396FDE.jpeg
    633.9 KB · Views: 33
  • A72FFCF3-34E8-460F-A57B-DACF454432BC.jpeg
    A72FFCF3-34E8-460F-A57B-DACF454432BC.jpeg
    586.6 KB · Views: 22
Good morning all -

My hen’s eye is completely swollen shut this morning. I noticed it on Saturday that it did not look normal. Last night is was worse and looked like there might be some scabbing. This morning is completely swollen shut. I am not sure if the scabbing is due to pecking from another bird or her scratching.

If anyone has suggestions to help, I would appreciate it. This little one has had a tough time over the past few months with limping and now this.
Your chicken unfortunately has Coryza. You can treat her with tylosin powder

It would be good to figure out if the swelling of her face is a sinus infection or respiratory disease (MG or coryza,) a peck wound, infection from betting something in the eye, or something stung her. Does she have any bubbles or foam in the eye, sticky or crusty drainage, nasal drainage, noisy breathing, cough or sneeze. Do you smell a bad odor from the face? If it is a respiratory disease, though can be carried for life. Symptoms could go away with certain antibiotics, but they do not cure the disease. Your others could be in danger of developing it if they were all exposed at the same time.

I would irrigate the eye with saline, clean out any gunk, and apply a dab of antibiotic ointment twice a day. You may find Terramycin ointment in some feed stores.

She shares the coop w 4 other ladies and they seem to all be fine. She has been my special kid now for months. On and off since January she has had a limp that gets better then worse but never really goes away. Her face does not have an odor nor is there any kind of residual seepage. Looks like some scabs and clear irritation but only to one side.
She still has an appetite and is getting after it but wanted to go to bed early today so that she could get a spot not to be picked on.

thanks so much for your support. It is much appreciated.

She shares the coop w 4 other ladies and they seem to all be fine. She has been my special kid now for months. On and off since January she has had a limp that gets better then worse but never really goes away. Her face does not have an odor nor is there any kind of residual seepage. Looks like some scabs and clear irritation but only to one side.
She still has an appetite and is getting after it but wanted to go to bed early today so that she could get a spot not to be picked on.

thanks so much for your support. It is much appreciated.
If there's really no seepage, bad odor or symptoms of respiratory disease, I would begin treating as an eye infection. Possible debris/injury causing the eye to swell.

Flush with saline 2-3 times a day, press out any pus and apply an eye ointment like Terramycin in the eye or if you can't find that use triple antibiotic ointment.

I would check her face really well. Look inside her ear for infection, inside her beak too. Look around her earlobe/ear, face, etc. for a tick. Just check her out to make sure this isn't from an insect.

See if she improves over the course of several days with just flushing and applying the ointment. If she doesn't then you can re-visit the issue...do take note of any changes/symptoms. It would be good to take a few pictures each day for comparison as well.

Infectious Coryza reportedly has a bad odor along with pus/swelling and usually there are other symptoms too.
IF It were Coryza, then I would recommend using a Sulfa antibiotic instead of Tylan/Tylosin, it would be much more effective. Tylan/Tylosin can be used in conjunction with the Sulfa antibiotics when treating Coryza.

Back
Top Bottom