Hen walking funny

marzbarz

In the Brooder
Feb 4, 2017
Hi there! I've been a part of backyard chickens for awhile but this is my first time posting. Previously I've been able to search and find the answers to my questions but not this one. I have a 3 year old leghorn who's walking strange. She high steps, sometimes falls forward and sits when she eats. She also has became thin and keeps her head/neck tucked in. She eats and drinks just fine. She also can't roost and hasn't layed an egg in awhile. I feel terrible for this girl :( I would really appreciate anyones suggestions/input. Thank you!

I would suspect egg laying issues as well, such as internal laying, egg yolk peritonitis, or ascites. Feel for any fullness in her lower belly, but loss of weight and problems walking may be noted in later stages. Keep her comfortable and offer foods to tempt her to eat such as chopped egg, rinsed tuna, liver or meat, as well as wet chicken feed. Consider putting her down if she is suffering.

I would suspect egg laying issues as well, such as internal laying, egg yolk peritonitis, or ascites. Feel for any fullness in her lower belly, but loss of weight and problems walking may be noted in later stages. Keep her comfortable and offer foods to tempt her to eat such as chopped egg, rinsed tuna, liver or meat, as well as wet chicken feed. Consider putting her down if she is suffering.

Thank you for your responses. She isn't bloated and I messed with her legs, they seem ok. She has lost alot of weight and it gets very cold at night here. I feel like she is suffering but just wanted to see if there was anything I could do.

Thanks again.

Back
Top Bottom