Emma1231

In the Brooder
Jul 23, 2017
my 1 1/2 year old Easter egged is having trouble walking and standing. she can't stand for more then a few seconds and will plop back down. When she does walk a few steps they are very story and penguin like, like she can't take a big step. She is barely eating and doesn't even really want mealworms. She only ate a few. I haven't seen her drinking much water. She is pooping okay. But her vent looks to be irritated, its protruding a bit and might be a little pale, and doesn't stop moving. And she has a slight whistle when she breaths in.

Please help with any advice. I really want to take her to the vet but I do not have the money. If anyone is in the northwest crossing area in bend, Oregon and is willing to take a look at her, we would both really appreciate it and could compensate with baked goods.

Sounds like she's egg bound. And warm, epsom salt soak may help relax the muscles enough to help the egg pass. Also, Preparation H to reduce inflammation and vaseline for lubrication might help.

Thank you junebuggena for your reply.
I believe she may have had a prolapsed vent, as it was protruding out. My mom got some Vaseline and a glove and stuck her finger in a couple times to gently push it back in and to check for an egg. No egg but It seems to have definitely helped!
She is resting a lot, but eating more, standing longer, is walking normally, and can jump up to her perch.
We kept it dark for her so she wouldn't lay an egg and could rest today. We might do the same tomorrow.
She just has some nasty diarrhea
I'm just hoping she doesn't have any reproductive issues as she's has had an egg stuck in the recent months and had to have it removed.
But all in all she seems to be recovering, thank goodness!

Be csareful using PREPERATION H
if used more than one time
it will sterilize the hen
Also use Bag Balm on the vent heavily
keep the hen in dark place in dog kennel box
do this daily for2weeks and she should be ready to go back at night after three weeks putting the bag balm on the vent for two weeks

Back
Top Bottom