Hen Wants to Sleep Outside

tamiep

Songster
7 Years
Jun 3, 2016
Oswego, IL 60543, USA
Hello!
I have one Easter Egger who does not want to go in the coop at night. She hops up on the coop door and wants to sleep there. I close up the pen, so she would be safe there, but I don't know if I should let her do it when it is cold outside. During cold weather I close the coop and there is a heating mat inside for those who wish to use it. I know that she is not doing because of being bullied or anything. She and her sister are the naughty ones. Are chickens smart enough to know whether they should go inside or not? Would she be OK if I let her do this and not close the coop? Every night we have this little struggle and I get flapped in the face by her wings. If it's above the mid 30s I let her do it and I don't worry.

I am in Illinois and it will be about 18° tonight.

The pen is protected from predictors, but there is no solid roof over it, just wire fencing over the top. Do you think it is OK to let her sleep there when there is no rain, snow, or heavy winds?

In the summer I leave the coop open and some of them like to sleep outside of it, but I just worry about the cold. She's always been goofy like this. She gets a bug up her butt and does not want to sleep with the other girls. No apparent reason. She's just has a mind of her own.

I personally would put her in during the colder months. She should get used to it after a bit, and go inside herself. Getting wet or chilled can lead to illness. That being said I'm sure plenty of chickens sleep outside and survive.

That is so funny because my Easter Egger does the same thing. Must be an Easter Egger thing. My other 7 hens all like the cozy coop except for her. She gets along with others with no bullying. I get off work at midnight and I have to pick her up from the top of the coop gently. She flaps her wings and has a tantrum as I put her away in the coop and wont let go of my arm. Maybe she don't want to wait to be let out of her coop and by sleeping outside, she is free to roam when it gets light outside. I don't let my hens out until 10am and there are days I don't let them out when I have company over. They poop on my patio and outdoor furniture. She don't like my schedule and she lets me know that.

I personally would put her in during the colder months. She should get used to it after a bit, and go inside herself. Getting wet or chilled can lead to illness. That being said I'm sure plenty of chickens sleep outside and survive.
She was going in by herself, but one day got this big idea to sleep on the door. She does things like this every so often. I really do not know why. Last year she decided that she was going to sleep on the air conditioning unit. I could not let her do that because she needed to be inside the pen to be safe. She like a rebellious teenager.

My EE girl is the same way!! Whenever I let my flock free-range during the day, she’s always roosting on the fence, or ANYWHERE besides the pen when roosting time rolls around. I always just put her back with the others, she does fine. I would be too worried to let her stay out all night anyway lol.

When a bird won't 'coop up' first thing to look at is space inside the coop....
...and ventilation.
Dimensions of coop, and pics inside and out,
along with how many birds total, might help us help you solve this issue.

Back
Top Bottom