Hen went broody for first time. Is she too late??????

Msbear

Fancy Banties
11 Years
May 8, 2008
Sharpsburg, MD.
I have a young hen who's broody for the first time. Will she stay on the eggs for the duration or do they sometimes bail from the nest halfway when they're newbies?

She's a cochin so I hope that'll help. Also, It's gonna start getting real cold here in WV over the next couple of weeks. Is this family going to be living in my laundry room or will they handle the temps fine??

Should I get an incubator ready in case she bails?

I had a six month old pullet grow broody. Most of her eggs hatched a week ago but I am squeaking out another week from her before I let her quit, because someone gave me some serama eggs and I don't want to try them in my styrofoam incubator. She is sitting tight and concentrating hard, and keeping good condition, and not pooping her nest. Those cochins are great!

Thanks guys. Im hoping she'll stay on there. I'll add some fresh shavings tomorrow to help insulate her fluffy rump:)

Onthespot, I wish I had some of those mille eggs under her
lol.png
Im keeping my eye on you. Talk to you this spring!!

Last edited:
My dad has a standard cochin hen that went broody at about 6 mo. old. She now has 6 beautiful baby chicks. She got off the nest more often than my hens did, but she really likes her food!
She did turn out to be a not-so-good mama, though, and has since been confined to a tractor, instead of free ranging with the others. As long as she is kept by the chicks, she takes very good care of them.

Our Pekin Bantam Rosie went broody at around 7mths and we were given some fertile sussex eggs by a friend for her to sit on. She did a wonderful job and only hopped off the nest for about a half hour each day to eat, drink, poop and of course have a quick dust bath (it's amazing what you can squeeze in in only half an hour:lol:

On the 5th October all 5 chicks hatched. They are now 2 weeks old and Rosie is still doing a wonderful job teaching the babies everything she knows. It's such a great sight.

Sorry I can't help you on the weather situation as I am in Australia so we are now in Spring (yeah things are finally warming up)

Good luck I'm sure your girl will do just fine.

Thanks everyone. She's doin great. It's funny. I thought she wasn't turning the eggs so I was turning them the first day then marked the x and o on each side and checked later...sure enough she's not as immature as I had assumed. All the eggs are warm and cozy and being turned:)

Though I haven't seen her get out of the nest once!! I am going to string a light in the coop for really cold nights. We got our first frost last night so here it comes.

And darn you Aussie's!!! We don't want to hear about spring in a time like this!!!!
gig.gif
We're gonna be busting frozen water dishes for the next 5 months!!

Back
Top Bottom