Hen wheezing and sneezing... Tylan 50?

Loving My Peeps

Chicken Whisperer
9 Years
Aug 19, 2010
Central, Maine
I have a 9 month old RIR hen that started sneezing and wheezing yeserday. Her breathing seems worse when inside the coop than when outside free ranging . I tried to give her Tylan 50 orally to no avail. Resorted to injection by pinching the skin between the shoulder blades and injecting .50 cc slowly. She was fine with it. I have not quarantined her because I have 4 week old babies being brooded in my other area. No signs of sickness other than the sneezing and wheezing when in the coop. Eyes are normal, eating and drinking are normal, acting normal..... My question is how long do I give the Tylan 50? Tonight's injection was the 1st dose. Her breathing a few hours later was as normal as could be. Should I continue to treat even after symptoms have disapated?

How long to refrain from eating her eggs? She has continued to lay as usual, so I didn't want medicate until tonight to see if she was still producing and she was!!! I am treating her for Respiratory infection but if chickens could get colds this would be it. She is not sickly just making some wheezing/moaning sounds and sneezing.

Any way how long is the egg withdrawl period for Tylan and how long should I administer it?

Last edited:
I give my standars .35cc for 3 to 5 days but if it real bad I will give it to 7 days. I wait 2. Week before eating the eggs. I give the injection in the breast or neck but draw first to make sure no blood. Good luck!

Yes, continue for at least 5 days. It is just like when the doc gives you 2 weeks of antibiotics, they always tell you finish out the course, even if you feel better, otherwise, remaining disease elements can develop a resistance to the effective medicine, and then you get a stronger bug that you cant kill!

Keep up the treatments even if she is better, and watch the other birds closely, respiratory illness is easily spread!

Good Luck!

once everyday. 3 to 5 days. or untill its get better too, I agree.

I usually use tylan 200. 1cc orally in mouth. Havent had to yet, but I should stock up for winter. Not like last year.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom