Hen when broody but I don't want chicks

OtterCreekRanch

Songster
8 Years
Mar 16, 2011
NE Texas
It is too late in the year and getting cold out, but my oldest hen decided to go broody. I want to take the eggs for her since I do not want the chicks this late in the year. Will it be really tramatic for me to take them from her? I do not have ceramic eggs or anything to put back under her. If I take away her eggs will she stop being broody? This is my first time with a broody hen.

Just take the eggs away from her every day. She will sit on nothing if she is anything like my silkies.
wink.png

Are the eggs fertile. I noticed in your signature all your girls but is there a rooster? You can try taking them from her and remove her from the nest everytime you see her sitting for a couple days. Sometimes they will give up but if she is truly determined to brood and you don't want her to hatch any then the best way I know to break a broody hen is to confine her to a wire-bottomed cage, like a rabbit or dog kennel, and place that cage up on something like blocks or hang it from the rafters, so that air can flow up underneath. Make sure she has access to food and water, but NO bedding. Keep her in there for 3-4 days. Hope this helps. Good luck

Quote:
I agree. I take the eggs out from under my broody every day. I put the broody out of the nest box every time I see her in there as I don't want to hatch chicks with a broody right now either. The broody seems to get the message eventually. I have used a cage too as Patricia Jane mentioned. It works too. I do have eggs in my incubator but I am also hatching some eggs for a friend too.

This thread might help. It gives a lot of different people's experience and is full of suggestions. I personally find the cage for a few days the best solution.

Break a Broody Thread
https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=2176186#p2176186

I personally think it is cruel to not break her if you are not going to let her hatch eggs. A broody does not eat or drink enough or get enough exercise to maintain top health. She is more susceptible to some parasites. I don't see any problem with her mental health. With the hormones kicking in, she is quite happy to remain on the nest indefinitely, but I am talking about her physical health.

I think broodies are great and really get happy and excited when one of mine goes broody. A broody can usually do quite well hatching eggs and raising chicks, but they really are not at the peak of physical health while doing this. But don't tell them that. Thsy will argue.

I just take them off the nest and make sure they get moving and foraging at least twice a day. In most cases they give up after a few weeks, and they don't seem to lose much if any weight. I keep the nest hay fresh and use a little Sevin in there. It's a personal choice. I'm not really comfortable with some of the methods like ice or even a raised cage.

But then I don't have Silkies or any really persistent breed of broody, at present. My repeat broodies are Australorps, EE's or mutts. I did have a Kraienkoppe who stayed broody over 3 months, and who resisted all efforts to break her. I finally bought her a few chicks when I found some, because she was losing weight.

Back
Top Bottom