hen with broken leg healed crooked

chickenella

Hatching
8 Years
Jul 18, 2011
Hi I'm new,
I got a young rose comb RIR with a broken leg from someone and put her in a sling. I made a square frame and stapled a sheet to it with holes for her feet and vent. She just hung there eating happily for a couple weeks.
But when i put her on the ground to walk i realized her leg healed wrong, now it just wants to point backwards. I can bring it back under her and make her rest on it, in a broody position, but she quickly goes back to lying on her side, leg pointed backwards like a balerina.
Maybe i can make her a thing to stand in with wheels?! so she can cruise around?
Advice please.
I have photos, if i can figure how to post them.
Thanks for your help,
Chickenella

I wonder if she will eventually hop around on one leg. Maybe the broken one still hurts; I believe it takes more like 5 weeks to heal a leg fracture. I've seen pics of chickens with one leg standing up, and read that they hop everywhere.

I have a chicken with a dislocated leg. it is so badly twisted and pulled out that it points straight out to the side, and it has been like that for am onth. she just can't learn to walk on one leg, unfortunately. I'm bringing her to the vet tomorrow, in hopes that they can pop it back into its socket. I'd fix it as soon as possible, if you can find a way to. I don't really have any ideas, sorry
hmm.png
. Don't leave it to see if she can learn to walk on one leg, it just isn't a good plan. and fixing it is what i think she'd prefer, too.
smile.png

Eventually your bird may learn to hop on one leg, I have a hen that was actually born deformed with a badly bent and twisted leg that is up under her and she cant use it at all, it tries to move but fouls her up and trips her on occasion, but she doesnt let it stop her- it really looks hideous but she gets around like lightning and actually rules the roost here...ever seen a one legged chicken dive on another one to put it in its place its pretty commical.

27552_bent_leg.jpg

27552_tito.jpg

Is she a frizzled Cochin? I'm just asking cause I have some.
big_smile.png
She's very pretty! Maybe the leg wasn't sompletely healed and its still fractured?

Thank you so much for your help. Unfortunately she was hurt when i got her, so i don't really know how long she had been like that for. i did split the leg yesterday, i am hoping there will be muscle memory now that it's in the right position. I installed a little perch under her feet for when she is in the sling hamack thing at night and she seems to be grasping it with her bad leg foot when i place it there.
more news to come.
She is a real good eater.
Chickenella

Back
Top Bottom