1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Hen with crooked crop, crooked beak, and can barely walk?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Sgsf, Sep 16, 2011.

1. Sgsf

Sgsf Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2010
    I believe she has inflated crop...

My chicken just randomly stopped walking. I found her on the ground toppled over, sitting there with the hair on her next all the way up. I put her inside the coop, she fell over again. Third time she managed to stand up, and has remained standing and walk some. She tried to eat a little bit of food, but it seems with her crooked beak it's making it hard.

And her crop, it's like it's crooked, to where it sort of points out and isn't really aligned with her chest. She's been like that for a while, and no problems. Any reasons for this? Whenever she's just standing there, it's like she twitches and moves her head back, to the side, then to her original position.

Please help!

Last edited: Sep 16, 2011
  2. Sgsf

Sgsf Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2010
    Bump

[​IMG]

3. Nimby Chickens

Nimby Chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 20, 2010
    Central FL
    Look up coccidiosis, that might be your problem if the symptoms match.

4. Whitewinterwolf

Whitewinterwolf Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2011
    Massachusetts
    No idea but ill bump you in hopes that someone will!

Last edited: Sep 16, 2011
  5. nurse_turtle

nurse_turtle Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2011
    Foothills of NC
    Research Marek's disease.

6. Ozchicken

Ozchicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2009
    Queensland, Australia
    If it's a young chick it could be coccidiosis. There's not enough information here to guess.

The crop on a chicken is naturally off-centre. When it's full of food it will often look like a bump that's sticking out to one side.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by