Hen with crop issues…need more help

PesterJay

Chirping
Jan 17, 2023
This hen I have been treating for sour crop hasn’t improved much. Her crop is still very enlarged and now sometimes feels squishy and sometimes solid, but almost always feels similar to memory foam. I have done a week of treatment with miconazole and at first it seemed to help quite a bit but now I see no changes. She’s still eating and drinking and acts fine. However, sometimes her crop seizes up and almost looks like it rolls up her neck. Any ideas what else it could be?

I read through all your recent posts, a few questions....
How old are the hens in question? Do you know when any last laid?
What do droppings look like? Have you ever wormed them or had a fecal test done to check for parasites?
For the hen with wry neck (that is what the neck bent under looks like) https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/hen’s-head-is-upside-down…help.1561847/
continue to give the vitamin E, sometimes it can take a while, if it's a deficiency. I do have concerns that it might be more than that considering that you lost several birds recently, but the E is the first thing to try. If it's from a toxin, then the vitamins will not help.
When buying a new bag of feed it is always best to empty the bag into another container before using, that allows you to see the whole bag and make sure there is no mold or spoilage. Any strong odor or clumping or off color (gray, white, green, etc.) can indicate spoilage or mold, and it should not be fed to the birds. Either throw it out or return it to where you bought it. Often bags can look ok on top but once you get down farther it can be bad. When bags have gotten wet in storage, they can go bad, starting where the moisture seeped in. The toxins can cause all kinds of issues, sudden death, neurological symptoms, paralysis, etc. It's better safe than sorry with feed you suspect may be bad, not worth the risk to feed it.
For your bird here with the crop issues, answers to the above questions might be helpful to know. Also feel her abdomen, below the vent, between the legs for any bloat, either water balloon like or very firm.

The hens are not even a year old and most are laying consistently. Their eggs are real nice too. Droppings look good for the most part, even this hen’s. Once in awhile they have a little diarrhea but it’s never prolonged. I have not wormed them…in fact, I wasn’t aware that was a thing.

I also wasn’t aware how close I should watch the feed but I’m sure I would’ve noticed if it looked or smelled off. They’re free range and we have moldy hay in the barn…could that be an issue?

As far as this hen with crop issues, I looked for the signs of egg binding as had been previously suggested. I saw nothing out of sorts. She has not been laying ever since I have separated her from the flock.

Back
Top Bottom