Hen with Dirty Bottom

aamowry

In the Brooder
5 Years
Aug 2, 2014
Washington State - Pacific NW
I have a 4 year old BO with a very dirty bottom. Looking for insight to get her cleaned her up in cold weather. What's the best way to clean and dry before she goes back out. Also I think she has stopped sleeping on the roost bar and that may be part of the problem, any suggestions as to why she would be dirty. Only have one other BO same age and she is just fine.

Hello aamowry,

In the winter to clean a chickens butt I will usually clean them in my sink or bathtub using warmish water. I then take a blow dryer and dry the feathers, however, if you use this method make sure you blow in the direction of the feathers, otherwise you will damage her plumage. You can also just let her air dry, if you do this I would recommend keeping her somewhere warm and dry, or, I even sometimes put them in the coop to dry, as long as there is a heat lamp/source. You can also dry her with a towel or any other water absorbing clothe.

When a chicken begins sleeping in a nesting box opposed to the roosting area, it is usually a strong indication that your chicken is well over laying age and is getting old. Since your hen is 4 years I would say she most certainly passed her youthful years.

Hens get messy vents when they have runny droppings. Since she is not longer wanting to roost, she may have a problem with internal laying or egg yolk peritonitis. Is she laying eggs presently, or has she laid any unusual eggs in the past? Has she lost weight when you hold her or feel of her keel? Is her lower belly full or spongy? It could be worms or coccidiosis--there are a number of problems that could be ruled out by getting some fresh droppings tested for worms and coccidia by a vet or online testing facility. In winter, I just remove any dried droppings with gloved hands, and give the excess or dirty feathers a trim. A butt bath indoors with soapy warm water would be good, only if you keep her warm until she is fully dry. Try giving her a tsp of plain good yogurt with cultures twice a week for probiotics.

Back
Top Bottom