Lizkoalita

In the Brooder
Sep 7, 2021
Hi everyone, hoping someone can help out here. I have four hens: one Australorp, one Isa, two Silkies. Today I noticed that the Australorp's left eye has some darker brown patches in the iris. AS far as I can tell the pupil is the same size as the right eye and a normal round shape. The right eye looks to be the usual orange colour. My first thought was Marek's, but she and all the others were vaccinated against it. She only started laying on the 13th of August and her laying has been inconsistent for the last 4-5 days - I thought it was because of a cold snap in the weather, but she has not been laying every day and the last egg she laid yesterday had a darker shell with some purple speckles on it. She seems as alert and active as normal, and is eating, drinking and pooing normally.

Can anyone offer me any advice as to what is going on? I'll try and get some pictures if that will help.

Thanks!

Is one eye different color from the other according to what you are saying?

Hm. I've seen the black spots in chickens eyes before, but don't know what caused them...

Here are photos of her right and left eye. The photo of the left one isn't the best as it was hard to get a closeup, but hopefully it helps.

Attachments

• IMG20210908122940.jpg
    IMG20210908122940.jpg
    278.8 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_20210908_153601.jpg
    IMG_20210908_153601.jpg
    352.2 KB · Views: 10
I have two cross breed chooks, they both have two colours in both their eyes. They are 3 yrs old now, and have never had Marek's... or any other disease in fact. they both lay well. One was hand raised the other was raised by a hen. I've looked it up and searched and searched, but couldn't find anything out. It's very strange.

Back
Top Bottom