Hen with encrusted vent, underweight and not laying

It's been over a week now and apart from the initial improvement, there has been no movement forward or backward. I'm now managing my husband who has refused to admit defeat. To be honest, I don't know if the chicken is suffering and I would prefer a humane ending for her. He wants to take her to the vet tomorrow to see what else can be done.

I'll let you know what happens.

I tend to agree with you. Even though some things take a little time, I would think that by now there would have been a noted improvement.
It is hard to tell if they are suffering, chickens are notorious for hiding illness/injuries and will try with all their might to act as normal as possible.
I think a visit to the vet is a good idea, they may be able to help make any difficult decisions easier to accept.
Yes, please let us know how it goes.

@wyorp rock

It's getting worse. My husband is going overseas tomorrow. He wants me to take her to the vet to see what else can be done. But I think I'll just take her to the vet...

Last edited:
I'm thinking that the vet will confirm that there's nothing else that can be done. I feel sorry for your husband, he's obviously having a hard time coming to grips with the situation and for you, having to deal with it all. Hopefully it'll be resolved soon.

I'm thinking that the vet will confirm that there's nothing else that can be done.  I feel sorry for your husband, he's obviously having a hard time coming to grips with the situation and for you, having to deal with it all.  Hopefully it'll be resolved soon.  

I'm not going to tell him, but she's not going to the vet. I'm taking her to the breeder who will show me how to cull her so I can do it myself in the future if I need to and to get another hen. I texted her tonight to confirm if she'd help and she said she would.

I would rather spend the money on a new hen then paying the vet for a consult to tell me what I already know and then add another $75 to euthanise her.

My husband sees them as pets. I see them (mainly) as produce. I did mention that one of the other two has a place in my heart though so I'm not totally hardened to losing them.

I also think, deep down, he knows there's going to be a change in hens when he comes home. He just doesn't want to decide and in doing so is prolonging the inevitable and the bird's suffering.

I'll be back in a couple of days with a conclusion. :(

then paying the vet for a consult to tell me what I already know and then add another $75 to euthanise her.
I see mine as pets too, but I'm pragmatic when it comes to things you can't do anything about. It's not fair on a sick pet to prolong things if they are not going to recover. It's nicer to let them have a quick resolution to the suffering.

I am glad you have someone who is going to help you.
I think you are making the right call. It's hard to let pets go, but like @potato chip say it's really not fair to her to prolong it.
I think getting another hen (or two) is a good idea.
Tell your hubby there was nothing else that could be done (which I'm sure the breeder will tell you that) and then make a big deal out of the new hens when you get them.

Wishing you luck.
hugs.gif

Let us know.

The breeder took the chicken and is going to try to clean her up and make her well. If she's successful, she'll give it back, otherwise will take care of her. She did phone me back to tell me she was full of worms. I wormed all my girls tonight. I also came back home with three chicks. :D

1 little black and white silkie, 1 buff Pekin so my husband will think it's the same chicken I gave to the breeder and one with tufts out the side of the head :) (barbu d'uccle I think)

Last edited:
Well that sounds promising.
I hope the breeder will be able to help her.
Like @potato chip I'm wondering about whether the worms contributed.
Your new chicks are adorable!

Back
Top Bottom