Hen With Featherless Bum

Is it normal for it to my chickens bum to be bare and also a lot of poop left on it she is also not laying at the moment. How can it be prevented from happing again while they roost

Last edited:
Thanks. I also think I have answered my own question as I was thinking about it. I think she is rubbing the corner of the nesting box as she is roosting and rubbing it raw and also the poop is not dropping I will keep everyone posted!

Welcome to BYC, zackman1087!

How's your chicken doing? Has her problem cleared up? I was thinking that looks more like an infection than just rubbing on her coop. If you washed the area with a little warm water and Epsom salts, you may be able to see the skin around it more clearly.
Is it normal for it to my chickens bum to be bare and also a lot of poop left on it she is also not laying at the moment. How can it be prevented from happing again while they roost
Good luck!

I just saw the post for the first time. A couple comments.. Mine looked like that when we were suffering from mites (not saying that is what's wrong) After I treated the mites, she got better. Have you ever heard of NuStock? It's a cream/salve or even Bag Balm. I would warm it up to a more liquid state and lightly rub it on her x 2 week. After that mine started growing feathers back. I wish I could help more. I think I saw an article on here someplace, I'll look for it. (Does her poo look normal? sue

If it was mites, wouldn't the other chickens have them by now?
I would have thought so but that was how mine looked. Have you tried to look in the evening at a few of the others? Look near their butt, under their wings and around their neck area, nearer to the head. Just in case it is mites, watch for itchiness on you. Be sure you go in and change your clothes (outside) if you don't put them right in the washer, then put them in a garbage bag and tie it securely shut, then take a good scrubbing shower yourself. The mites on the chickens can be dark or lighter in color but they will be moving. Look for the light color eggs attached to the shafts of feathers. That is my only idea of what might be going on. Sorry. sue

Back
Top Bottom