Hen with foot wound

Miseasa

In the Brooder
Nov 25, 2020
Hi and thank you!! My white brahma had been acting strange for a couple of days and I finally caught her.. she has gaping wounds on the tops of both of her feet!! Looking for advice on treating her. I cleaned her and have her isolated. Thank you!!

Attachments

• 20201125_203034.jpg
    20201125_203034.jpg
    261.9 KB · Views: 10
Hi and thank you!! My white brahma had been acting strange for a couple of days and I finally caught her.. she has gaping wounds on the tops of both of her feet!! Looking for advice on treating her. I cleaned her and have her isolated. Thank you!!
Hello there! Are you new to Back Yard Chickens? Welcome! :welcome
Any idea's from where the wound came from? Looks like the bleeding has mostly stopped? If not, suppress it. It's good that you already treated her. She should get plenty of hydration. I use hydrogen peroxide or Vetericyn Plus Poultry Care spray. Keep the wound clean and dry while the bird recovers, at the beginning of her recovery, try to keep her close. Other than this, there isn't much else you can do, hoping it gets better soon!

Any idea's from where the wound came from? Looks like the bleeding has mostly stopped? If not, suppress it. It's good that you already treated her. She should get plenty of hydration. I use hydrogen peroxide or Vetericyn Plus Poultry Care spray. Keep the wound clean and dry while the bird recovers, at the beginning of her recovery, try to keep her close. Other than this, there isn't much else you can do, hoping it gets better soon!
DOn't use hydrogen peroxide. It stings birds and is a very harsh cleanser! You can use warm soapy water, saline, Vetrycin, Clohexadine, or any sterile wound cleanser. Wrap the wound with Neosporin, and separate her, to keep it clean and keep it form getting pecked. Is she eating/drinking alright? What do you mean by acting weird? Separate her in your house where it is warm and calm.

I have no idea where it could have come from!! Her underfeathers were caked with blood so I cleaned them (hopefully it will cut down on irritation). I cleaned her with hydrogen peroxide and put ointment on.

DOn't use hydrogen peroxide. It stings birds and is a very harsh cleanser! You can use warm soapy water, saline, Vetrycin, Clohexadine, or any sterile wound cleanser. Wrap the wound with Neosporin, and separate her, to keep it clean and keep it form getting pecked. Is she eating/drinking alright? What do you mean by acting weird? Separate her in your house where it is warm and calm.
I agree with the, 'Don't use hydrogen peroxide' I should have mentioned this, I use a very diluted kind, tested on chickens many times, shown for no pain. DON'T use regular peroxide! Thanks for catching this. :D Agreed, you need to keep her calm, with you.

I have no idea where it could have come from!! Her underfeathers were caked with blood so I cleaned them (hopefully it will cut down on irritation). I cleaned her with hydrogen peroxide and put ointment on.
Good, that you cleaned her, hopefully, she showed no pain, you just don't want to put the peroxide directly on the wound. Hopefully, it will heal up soon.

I noticed her bedding down on the floor of the coop, laying low. I did clean the wounds with hydrogen peroxide tonight, but I don't intend to use it consistently. I am honestly hoping it will help deride it a bit. I usually is chlorhexidine. She is currently residing in my bathtub. Tomorrow I will be able to get a feel for her eating and drinking. Thank you!

Back
Top Bottom