Hen with gash on neck

FringeLore

In the Brooder
7 Years
Sep 3, 2012
I discovered a gash in the neck of one of my Hens this afternoon. So far I've trimmed the feathers around the wound rinsed off with warm water and put some Bactine on it. Any other suggestions? She seems very lethargic at the moment. I'm not sure whether this is normal posttraumatic behavior or whether there something else going on.

[/IMG][/IMG]

She has a little cut by her ear causing swelling and causing her to only open that eye when she has to.

I don't know how she was injured. Possibly a stray cat in the area. We've never had a problem with that before though. It happened sometime this morning although the blood looks decently dried this point.

Looks like a weasel or other small animal bite. Being lethargic suggests to me infection. Get her on antibiotic with water. Keep her in a location that is not cold.

Determine if a predator has or can get into where birds are kept. Potential is for this to affect other birds and outright lossed can occur.

Update: I kept her warm in a blanket all afternoon and she perked up. By late afternoon she was eating and drinking again. She's locked in the coop for the night and we'll see how things look in the morning.

Back
Top Bottom