Hen with "hiccups" and all fluffed up *Update*

maggie&thechicks

In the Brooder
10 Years
Nov 11, 2009
Central NC
One of my Buff Orp pullets is now sleeping in the nest instead of on the roost. This afternoon she was walking around outside with her feathers all fluffed out and holding her wings away from her body. She was giving little regular jerky inhalations like hiccups. I was gone all weekend so the chickens didn't get out of the chicken yard for 3 days. She was hanging with the rest of the flock when I let them out today but she doesn't look well. I have been feeding Layena, a little corn and whole oats, oyster shell, and the occasional food scrap from the house. Usually they get to free range in the afternoons if the weather is halfway decent. Does anyone know what is wrong with her? Or what I can do for her? Thanks.

*Next morning she is still in the nest all fluffed out, no longer hiccuping. Her eyes are clear, no abnormal breathing sounds. She laid an egg last night. I'm still new at this but I think she IS broody. I guess this thread is now in the wrong forum. Thanks folks.

Last edited:
I don't know but is she eating and drinking? Does she have any discharge, is she sneezing....is her crop full or empty? Probably you ought to put her in a pen where you can watch her and she will be away from the others. She hasn't been eating any raw potato peelings or potatoes, weird berries, anything like that? What are her droppings like? I mean it does sound like broodiness, except for the hiccups....and how old is she?

Last edited:
Quote:
She could have picked potato peelings from the compost pile but it's not likely. She's been shut in the pen for 3 days. The chickens were given a couple tablespoons of leftover oatmeal (with sugar and milk) this morning. She was eating grass & clover when she was out this afternoon but not with her usual enthusiasm and she ate some oats and corn when offered. She seemed uncomfortable. She's 9 months old and has been laying since December. I will check on her dropping in the morning. Since she's sleeping in the nest, it should be obvious which ones are hers. She usually sleeps on the same roost with the rooster. Thank you for answering.

Back
Top Bottom