Hen with hurt leg

Raelyn

In the Brooder
8 Years
Mar 8, 2011
Central North Carolina
1) What type of bird , age and weight. Welsummer, 1 year old, don't know weight

2) What is the behavior, exactly. Came out to the coop one morning and she was limping badly on her right front leg

3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms? About 2 weeks now

4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms? No

5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma. Not that I've been able to find

6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation. No idea

7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all. She's been eating and drinking great. Nutrena 16% Layer, BOSS, and treats.

8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc. Normal

9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far? I separated her from the flock when I noticed she was getting picked on trying to get to the food. Started giving scrambled eggs for extra nutrition.

10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet? Would like to treat myself

11) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help. No pic, not really much to see.

12) Describe the housing/bedding in use 16x8 coop and 16x16 run with 15 hens. Bedding is pine shavings inside and sand/dirt in the run.

since you have now separated her from the flock maybe she just needs so TLC, and a few days to mend. could she have injured herself jumping off the roost? if there are any other symptoms that she starts to show get back here asap. You can give baby aspirin to chickens for pain but I am not sure what the dosage is.. hope she gets better..

I don't have any real advice, but just wanted to say I had a hen that limped for a week or two. I think she sprained or broke her toe coming off the roost because I noticed she wasn't using one toe when she walked.. She's fine now. I didn't do anything special except try to get her a little extra protein. Hope she heals up quick!

I had one limp for a month after a coyote attack. I found her on her back about ten days after the attack, evidently unable to get back up. I put her on her feet and she limped away. She now walks fine but still sleeps in a nest box, won't get up on the roost. Evidently some of these injuries take quite a while to heal. I know they do in humans. Good luck!

Thanks everyone. I really hope this is just a sprain or something... she's one of my favorite girls.

She still gets up on the roost ok and was walking a bit better today.

I'll keep her separated so she can heal and I can keep an eye on her.

Fingers crossed it's nothing serious!!

Back
Top Bottom