Hen with impacted "colon" advice! X-ray attached

WilliamC

Songster
6 Years
Sep 5, 2017
Our Coachin had a very impacted crop. From the start we have given her coconut than olive oil and messaged crop and we got it to move but its set up sour crop. Used probiotics, vinegar water and Monistat 7 for that.
She was getting listless and only seems to be passing dark liquid. Took her to the vet.
Xray showed some in the crop but a mass in her lower GI. No egg present and she laid only once last year. She is around 6 years old.

Doc tube fed her large watery mix of chick food and gave her an injection of mobility meds. Also, gave us some liquid for sour crop.
This morning she passed what looked like the baby food, but no solid matter as shown in the Xray.
Should we try a stool softener like Colase (dont know the dose for hen her size) or go right for Epsom salts? Colas first to soften it, wait a while than Epsom? We thought lubricating her vent might help as well.
This is the x-ray. I could only get this shot and could not figure out how to make the computer switch to side view. The mass is on the lower left by the hip and doc said it was in her large intestine
She is now on day 5 of this.

Attachments

• 20230403_121949.jpg
    20230403_121949.jpg
    450.9 KB · Views: 92
Last edited:
Honestly it depends on what that mass is. I'm not great at x-rays, but certainly can see it. Did the vet have any opinion on what the mass might be? Two thoughts are a tumor or infectious matter (salpingitis). Sometimes with salpingitis they are able to expel some of the matter, but sometimes it just builds up inside and won't budge. I think I would try the molasses also, more likely to see results. Just make sure she's taking in enough fluids, any kind of flush can dehydrate them, which won't help.

Honestly it depends on what that mass is. I'm not great at x-rays, but certainly can see it. Did the vet have any opinion on what the mass might be? Two thoughts are a tumor or infectious matter (salpingitis). Sometimes with salpingitis they are able to expel some of the matter, but sometimes it just builds up inside and won't budge. I think I would try the molasses also, more likely to see results. Just make sure she's taking in enough fluids, any kind of flush can dehydrate them, which won't help.
We are giving her fluids every few hours and she has drank on her own. Tidbits some pellets. Gave the Colace pill around lunch. Not sure how many times per 24 hours we can give that.

No opinion on the mass, the bird doctor was out yesterday. Doc on call said there were flecks of solid matter in it. She was very impacted the other evening so we assumed that was what it was moving through. She had no temperature. I have texted the bird doc himself and asked him to review the X-rays and see if he thinks its a tumor or something else. She IS going some, some stuff does come out but, imo, nothing that would be the amount which we see on the X-ray. Nothing solid. Crop still isnt fully emptying which maybe because her bowls are not emptying as fast. Feels like grains in her crop.
We will do the molasses's tonight. We were hesitant because of the sour crop, hence the reason for the Epsom. We now have powerful anti-fungal from the Doc and at this point its gone on so long the sour crop is becoming the least of our worries.

Molasses flush:
1 cup molasses
2 1/2 gallons of water
5-6 grams of vitamin & electrolite powder (optional)
Put in the waterer and let her drink it. It's sweet, they usually like it and drink readily.
Do not exceed 8 hours maximum, replace with vitamin/electrolite (prefered) water or plain fresh water. Watch for dehydration, you may not need to leave it as much as 8 hours.

Molasses flush:
1 cup molasses
2 1/2 gallons of water
5-6 grams of vitamin & electrolite powder (optional)
Put in the waterer and let her drink it. It's sweet, they usually like it and drink readily.
Do not exceed 8 hours maximum, replace with vitamin/electrolite (prefered) water or plain fresh water. Watch for dehydration, you may not need to leave it as much as 8 hours.
Thank you!!
If giving it by syringe how much would be a dose?

Back
Top Bottom