Hen with impacted "colon" advice! X-ray attached

I don't think there is really a "dose". If you are going to syringe it, then I would just do that until you can feel the crop full of liquid, and then give some time to let it go down. Go slow, you don't want her to aspirate any.

Thanks, this has become a whole family effort.
Our sweet little Peeps died in my arms 2 nights ago. Not from crop issues. She slowly went blind and we and the Vet literally tried everything. She declined and passed
So our tiny hen now is having issues. They are our pets. Loved. My daughters pets we all raised. She gets married on the 15th so its kind of .......
She has her soaking in a very warm Epsom salt bath now.
Wife is warming the molasses to start mixing

Thank you!

Edit....2 weeks ago we did our spring worm and Corid treatment.

Thanks, this has become a whole family effort.
Our sweet little Peeps died in my arms 2 nights ago. Not from crop issues. She slowly went blind and we and the Vet literally tried everything. She declined and passed
So our tiny hen now is having issues. They are our pets. Loved. My daughters pets we all raised. She gets married on the 15th so its kind of .......
She has her soaking in a very warm Epsom salt bath now.
Wife is warming the molasses to start mixing

Thank you!

Edit....2 weeks ago we did our spring worm and Corid treatment.
I hope your hen pulls through.

Could the lower opaque granular spot just be the gizzard with grit, and the crop is very full of something granular as well? Sorry , I am probably not that proficient with an xray. But in another thread there was a picture of a gizzard low and to the left.

It looks pretty low to me, so I didn't really consider the gizzard. But I've seen things not exactly where they should be before, and x-rays don't always give the best perspective since everything is transparent. It may be. :confused: I wish we had some kind of opinion from the vet that did the imaging...

Could the lower opaque granular spot just be the gizzard with grit, and the crop is very full of something granular as well? Sorry , I am probably not that proficient with an xray. But in another thread there was a picture of a gizzard low and to the left.
This was what I was thinking or at least the material looks like grit and/or oyster shell.

Hopefully the flush will help stimulate and get things moving.

Update......
Talked to bird doc, he said it looks like she massively overate grit. Large grit.
Cant clear grit with stool softeners . Thinking soft foods will be better than trying to flush them out. The meds seem to be kicking the sour crop pretty fast. Crop seems tighter, not fully empty in the morning but tighter. No smell burped up while messaging.
She is pooping, its fairly watery with some material and color. Last night we got her to eat a bit, our little rooster helped with that. This morning lethargic. No interest in food. Sat down with eyes closed.

Mixed up probiotic, electrolytes and vitamins and drip fed her to hydrate. Gave her her sour crop meds. Noticed her crop is VERY warm especially at the bottom. Over warm/hot to me, means infection.
At this point we are shot gunning everything. We leave for out of town to daughters wedding next week!

I have a new bottle of Baytril 10%. Bottle and a site said 10mg per day per KG body weight.
She is a tiny hen and now lost weight.
She is .88kg. Figured i would round up to 1kg.
Is that 1ML on the syringe?

Edit...wait....it says 1ml is 100 mg. So 10mg would be .1CC? (Agh math)

Thank you again for all your help!

Yes, dosage would be .1ml per kg or per 2.2 lbs of body weight of the 10% Baytril. I dosed it twice a day at that dose (for other ailments). if you have a 1 ml oral syringe you should be able to draw up the .1 easily. I get mine on amazon in bulk, a local pharmacy will probably have them, just ask. For once a day, dosages I have are 15 or 20 mg/kg, so that would be .15 ml or .20 ml for those per kg or 2.2 lbs. Your vet may be willing to help you with dosing.

Back
Top Bottom