Hen with impacted crop

@castportpony Kathy. I have a Roo with impacted crop. He doesn't feel like he has a breast at all. Very Skinny. His crop is hard, impacted. I just tubed 40ml of water and massaged crop. How much water do I administer and how often? Thank you!!!!
Can you weigh him?

-Kathy

Birds that size I can usually get 60 ml of water into, but use you best judgement and don't overfill. You can give more fluids as soon as the fluid clears the crop. What does his poop look like?

-Kathy

I found him yesterday lying on the ground on his side in front of the entrance to the run. He had been free ranging. At first I thought he was dead. When I got to him, much to my surprise, he was very alert. I brought him inside to keep him warm and check him out. He has a good appetite. I stopped feeding him last night when I discovered his hard impacted crop. It is Big! I was giving him Save-A-Chick electrolytes and also gave him a bowl of plain water which was his preference. I couldn't believe how skinny he was. But his crop is big. He is pooping very little but some. It is somewhat dry looking. Just want to give as much info as possible.

Keeping him warm is very important. Keep giving the fluids and hopefully he'll start pooping. Has he been de-wormed?

-Kathy

Back
Top Bottom