Hen with injured leg! Dislocation? Help!

I'm glad she's still improving, this is promising news!:)
Yes! I know it'll probably be another couple weeks until she's completely better...
Sometime this week I'm planning on putting my cockerel in the main coop, separated from the flock though, and putting Cocoa in the prefab where the cockerel is currently. She's well enough that I think she'd be alright.
Poor Cocoa doesn't like being confined at all, haha.

It all depends on what happened to her leg.
A sprain can take several weeks. A fracture may be longer. I had a hen that fractured her leg, even after she "healed" she still limped and every once in a while, she'd favored it heavily from overuse/jumping, etc., that's when I'd wrap it up to offer some extra support for a few weeks (checking wrapping daily and changing it as needed).

For me, if they are able to move about, interact with the flock, eat/drink and act relatively normal, I don't worry too much.

It all depends on what happened to her leg.
A sprain can take several weeks. A fracture may be longer. I had a hen that fractured her leg, even after she "healed" she still limped and every once in a while, she'd favored it heavily from overuse/jumping, etc., that's when I'd wrap it up to offer some extra support for a few weeks (checking wrapping daily and changing it as needed).

For me, if they are able to move about, interact with the flock, eat/drink and act relatively normal, I don't worry too much.
She gets around perfectly fine and is normal when I have her outside. She just hops on one leg when running and limps when walking. I hope she doesn't have a permanent limp. 😢
When will I know if her leg doesn't get any better? How long would I need to wait and keep her separated?

I usually don't separate mine unless they are getting picked at.

Is she with the flock during the day at all? If not, then I'd let her around them (monitored) and see how she does.
You don't want to rush her healing, so do give it some time. If she fractured her leg, then it may take 6-8 wks to heal.

I usually don't separate mine unless they are getting picked at.

Is she with the flock during the day at all? If not, then I'd let her around them (monitored) and see how she does.
You don't want to rush her healing, so do give it some time. If she fractured her leg, then it may take 6-8 wks to heal.
Yes, almost everyday I let her out with the flock while free ranging, for quite a few hours. She's does well, but mostly keeps to herself and is away from the flock. Some of the other hens do pick on her, because they know she's weak I assume. Also since she's been isolated a lot.
Since I don't want her to reinjure her leg more, how much should she be out? I mean she's hopping up on things and such, being her crazy self and kicking other hens of the nesting box, lol. 🤣 I just don't want her to get hurt more.
Is there anything I could give her to help her heal?

I'd just let her out like you have been doing so far, see how she does after another week.

I don't know of anything that you can give her. If she's eating normally, she's getting what she needs from her feed.

I thought I should get another video of Cocoa, so here it is.

That's how she is when walking. Sometime soon I'll have to try and get a video of her running.
I have her outside all day with the flock free ranging, and bring her inside at night. She seems to be fully integrated back into the flock now.

I thought I should get another video of Cocoa, so here it is.

That's how she is when walking. Sometime soon I'll have to try and get a video of her running.
I have her outside all day with the flock free ranging, and bring her inside at night. She seems to be fully integrated back into the flock now.
Looking like she's making progress.
It's good that she's able to be outside with the flock moving about during the day. She may always have a limp, time will tell.

Back
Top Bottom