Hen with injured leg! Dislocation? Help!

How long should Cocoa’s leg take to heal?
I feel like it should be healed by now. It’s been 3.5 weeks.
Im not educated or anything but i have had a few experiences in my chickens with stuff like this, so i’ll just say what happened to mine personally.

I used a splint type of thing for one of my girls, (she got stepped on as a chick so it did something and she could barely walk, leg all the way out to one side)
A few days later i could take off the splint, however permanently after that she always walked a little off. My friend is a vet, and she said she was totally fine.

Her leg seemed to cause no discomfort or pain, just didn’t quite go back to normal.

Anyhow this is just what happened to mine.

Looking like she's making progress.
It's good that she's able to be outside with the flock moving about during the day. She may always have a limp, time will tell.
She has made progress compared to how she first was, but I feel like she's been the same for 2 weeks or so. Unless she's just very slowly healing and its not too noticeable. I do hope she doesn't have a limp forever.
I am glad she can be out, she likes it very much, and she doesn't need supervision. Sometimes I bring her inside half way through the day for a bit to give her leg a break, just so she doesn't over use it.

Im not educated or anything but i have had a few experiences in my chickens with stuff like this, so i’ll just say what happened to mine personally.

I used a splint type of thing for one of my girls, (she got stepped on as a chick so it did something and she could barely walk, leg all the way out to one side)
A few days later i could take off the splint, however permanently after that she always walked a little off. My friend is a vet, and she said she was totally fine.

Her leg seemed to cause no discomfort or pain, just didn’t quite go back to normal.

Anyhow this is just what happened to mine.
Thank you for sharing!
If Cocoa has a permanent limp, its not the worst thing. She gets around perfectly fine and is happy.

She has made progress compared to how she first was, but I feel like she's been the same for 2 weeks or so. Unless she's just very slowly healing and its not too noticeable. I do hope she doesn't have a limp forever.
I am glad she can be out, she likes it very much, and she doesn't need supervision. Sometimes I bring her inside half way through the day for a bit to give her leg a break, just so she doesn't over use it.
Aww. Thats so sweet. I bet she loves it.
Who knows, maybe she’s faking the limp for attention. ;) I’m sure she likes indoor time.

At this point I'm think Cocoa really does have a permanent limp. She's still limping and I'm not noticing her getting better, unless its just very slightly.
The last two nights and tonight she's out in the coop with the others, she gets around perfectly fine and is a happy little hen.

At this point I'm think Cocoa really does have a permanent limp. She's still limping and I'm not noticing her getting better, unless its just very slightly.
The last two nights and tonight she's out in the coop with the others, she gets around perfectly fine and is a happy little hen.
Being able to be with the others, stay in the coop, get around and seems to be happy is good news!

Yes! So you think I should keep her with the flock all the time now? I don't want her to re-injury herself or something if she's not completely healed.
I would leave her with the flock. Sounds like she's doing just fine.
You can always pull her back out if notice her beginning to worsen.

Back
Top Bottom