Hen with injured leg! Dislocation? Help!

Pics

Tookie

🐓Eggsuberant🐤
Premium Feather Member
Dec 19, 2021
Central Texas
My Coop
My Coop
Hello all, today I went outside and found one of my hens hopping on her right leg, and her left leg was pretty much dragging on the ground. She can hardly use her left leg, it feels limp, and she seems to have little to no control over it. Her left thigh seems to be skinnier than her other thigh, and I can move her left leg out more than her right leg. When I moved her leg out she did bring her leg back in slowly. I think it could be dislocated possibly. No idea what happened, I had checked on her no more than 2 hours or so before I found her with the injury and she was completely fine. She also seems to have a little bumblefoot on her bad leg. She's acting completely normal, and is still her spunky self. I have given her some homeopathy for bone issues, so maybe that will help with something.
I have no idea what to do, as I've never dealt with leg issues before. So what should I do?
I'll get a video and some pictures of her tomorrow.

How long could she have had bumblefoot as in cases where it's not treated, it can affect the bones. I doubt how you describe how she's suddenly dragging it that that's the case. Regardless I'd soak her in a warm Epsom salt bath and see if you can better tell what is wrong with her leg, plus that might help her pain as I would assume she's in pain.

How long could she have had bumblefoot as in cases where it's not treated, it can affect the bones. I doubt how you describe how she's suddenly dragging it that that's the case. Regardless I'd soak her in a warm Epsom salt bath and see if you can better tell what is wrong with her leg, plus that might help her pain as I would assume she's in pain.
Not sure how long she's had the bumblefoot, but it's not that large. I also doubt it would cause her leg to be how it is. I will give her a soak tomorrow!

Sorry for the wait, but I finally got pictures and a video.

Video:
Seems she can use her leg a bit more, yesterday when she'd run/walk she couldn't use it at all.

Pictures of her leg:
IMG_20230913_122949_740.jpg

IMG_20230913_123359_091.jpg

The second pictures shows how far I can make her leg come out, which is much farther out than her other leg. Sometimes when moving her bad leg out I would hear a clicking noise.

Pictures of her bumblefoot, before and after removing the plug:
IMG_20230913_121135_717.jpg
IMG_20230913_122516_120.jpg

After removing the plug I applied some cream to it.
It does look like bumble foot, right?

I have her in a dog crate right now, she just sits around and doesn't get up.
IMG_20230913_124443_925.jpg

Today I did give her an epsom salt bath, which she seemed to like!

Your hen has a very sore foot. The bumblefoot is not serious, but just as some people experience pain more acutely than others, so do chickens. You've done a very good job cleaning out the bumble infection. It looks good and it should heal well and quickly. Keep up the care you've been giving.

For the pain, get some chewable 81 grain aspirin that old people take to prevent strokes. Give her one whole aspirin in the morning and another in the evening. Do this for the next two or three days or until you see she isn't limping any more.

Your hen has a very sore foot. The bumblefoot is not serious, but just as some people experience pain more acutely than others, so do chickens. You've done a very good job cleaning out the bumble infection. It looks good and it should heal well and quickly. Keep up the care you've been giving.

For the pain, get some chewable 81 grain aspirin that old people take to prevent strokes. Give her one whole aspirin in the morning and another in the evening. Do this for the next two or three days or until you see she isn't limping any more.
Thank you!
So you think its the bumble foot causing all this?
I'll get the aspirin tomorrow.

Yes. The video shows her using her upper leg in perfect form, nice normal fluid motion. There is no stiffness or indication she has pain there that would cause the limp. Her motion only suffers as she's about to make contact with the ground with her pad. I've seen a chicken run with an injured foot, and it looks exactly like your hen.

Yes. The video shows her using her upper leg in perfect form, nice normal fluid motion. There is no stiffness or indication she has pain there that would cause the limp. Her motion only suffers as she's about to make contact with the ground with her pad. I've seen a chicken run with an injured foot, and it looks exactly like your hen.
Ok, thanks again! I appreciate it!

One more question, you wouldn't suspect Mareks right? I know that it's pretty bad and I had a thought of what if my flock has it...cause I did add a new cockerel to the flock Monday.

@azygous , I got the aspirin today and gave her one an hour or so ago.
I also gave her an epsom salt bath for her leg, bumblefoot, and to clean her bottom up. I applied more cream to the bumblefoot.
Anything else I should do?

Back
Top Bottom