Hen with injury or sore

Terrie2

Hatching
Sep 18, 2020
I have a 5 month hen who started becoming lethargic two days ago . I checked her and she did not have mites but she did have a sore under one of her wings. I sprayed it with med and gave her some meds and isolated her . Today the sore was larger and it looked like maggots were on it. I put fly powder on it and I put 1/2 ml of ivermitent pour on her back. What should I clean it with in the morning and what should I do appreciate any help

Saline solution is a good wound wash, non-toxic and you can make it yourself.
I mix one teaspoon of table salt in two cups of tap water, microwave 1-2 minutes, stir until all the salt disappears into the water, and let it cool before using.
You can buy saline solution but you'll pay five dollars for the two cups made in this recipe.

Remove any maggots immediately. Move her inside and keep her warm. Use towels for bedding and make sure she's eating and drinking. What does the sore feel like? Soft, hard, full of air, full of liquid? @Eggcessive or @Wyorp Rock may be able to help you, as I have to go.
Thank you it's just open she has pulled a lot of her feathers out and irritated it. She is drinking and eating and talking . Thank you

Are there any more maggots in the wound? Those need to be removed. A warm Epsom salts soak or irrigating the wound with warm saline may help. SWAT or permethrin spray will kill the maggots on contact. More may containue to hatch out for awhile. Here is a good article to read:
https://the-chicken-chick.com/flystrike-in-backyard-chickens-causes/

Back
Top Bottom