Hen with internal abscess

I think I would really just suggest putting them on a diet of laying pellets. The calcium will be more sufficient, the diet will be easier to digest.

They either have a bacterial or a yeast infection - or both. I would at least treat for a yeast infection and treat topically for both yeast and bacteria because of the white "rim" around the vent.

I would treat the whole flock: first with a gentle cleansing, second with probiotics and OACV in the water.

For the effected girls, clean the diarrhea away from the vent. Use lotrimin creme (athelete's foot) creme around the vent area, and rub it in well so they can't groom it off. Use a different pair of gloves for each bird to rub it in. The vent area is severely irritated from the droppings.

The smell fits either bacterial or yeast/fungal.

I would feed them all a cleansing gentle flush of 1/8th a teaspoon of molasses, 1 babyfood applesauce jar, 3 heaping teaspoons of yogurt, and a little water. Then use crumbles and mix til it's damp. Use as their morning feeding after removing the feed the night before. Make sure everyone gets some. When they're done, clean the feeders and replace with free-choice pellets, please. The applesauce pectin will gently cleanse and make the good bacteria "happy", the molasses will help flush toxins, bad bacteria, and yeast from the system - buildup in other words, the yogurt will provide good bacteria to replenish the digestive tract, and the crumbles are your base.

Thereafter, I would use yogurt or probiotics daily for 2 weeks, and organic apple cider vinegar in the water (1 tablespoon per gallon of water) as their sole source of water for the same 2 weeks. The yogurt or probiotics will help replace good bacteria, the OACV (don't use regular) will do the same and adjust the pH to be unfriendly to harmful bacteria.

Is the grey area at the bottom of the hen her keel bone, or something else? Dirt and diarrhea?

And incidentally, I would not use hydrogen peroxide to clean the vent area; they're way too irritated, skin is broken. I would use warm water, then a final rinse with warm water with a small amount of betadine iodine in it (the water being made barely the color of weak iced tea, warm). Don't rinse that off - pat it very dry before dressing the bare skin with the lotrimin. You can additionally pat the vent with corn starch or plain baby powder to help dry and cool the area and hopefully keep flies from being attracted. Clean the vents daily, look for more with that issue.

Can you describe the droppings? Are they all white like this or any that are normal?

Also, any possibility that you could take one of these hens to the vet and get them to examine the white under a microscope to rule out if it's fungal/yeast or bacteria from the droppings? Or a state college or extension to do testing? (I can help you find one near you if you need.)

Were any of your hens tested by NPIP by the way? Or from NPIP tested stock, like a hatchery?

Last edited:
Quote:
How many chickens will that mixture cover, ie I have 15 laying hens, how many batches roughly? And do I do this just the one time, then just yogurt daily?

Is the grey area at the bottom of the hen her keel bone, or something else? Dirt and diarrhea?

That grey area iswhere feathers, dirt and goop have matted together.

Can you describe the droppings? Are they all white like this or any that are normal?

I havent really noticed anything different with droppings, I can set one aside tomorrow and watch specifically. Most of them are normal, its only a few with white on them like I described above. They all look and act healthy in every other way.

Also, any possibility that you could take one of these hens to the vet and get them to examine the white under a microscope to rule out if it's fungal/yeast or bacteria from the droppings? Or a state college or extension to do testing? (I can help you find one near you if you need.)

I will phone the agriculture folks tomorrow and see if they recommend anyone or have a lab for this kind of testing.

Were any of your hens tested by NPIP by the way? Or from NPIP tested stock, like a hatchery?

They are from a hatchery, I assume NPIP is a government thing? I am in Canada.

Thanks again for all your help,

Cul​

Last edited:
Oh, another question. Is it ok to be eating the eggs while they have a yeast/bacterial infection? How about while I am treating them with the apple cider vinegar and crumble mixture of applesauce, etc?

Thanks,

Cul

Yes, NPIP is a US govt. thing, a certification that they are free of certain diseases (not all, though.) It is usually recommended not to eat egg if they are on an antibiotic, or a wormer, for that matter. On the yeast infection, I doubt there is a researched guideline on that; not that I know of, anyway. Your choice. I suppose the eggs could be contaminated, but hard cooking should kill any organisms. I'd probably hard scramble them and feed them to dogs and chickens, myself. Eggs would be just fine if all you are giving them is ACV and applesauce.

Last edited by a moderator:
Quote:
What ddawn said.
big_smile.png

I have what sounds like a similar problem with a possible abcess, but I have a younger bird. She is about 7 or 8 weeks, and yesterday I noticed she was having trouble pooping, it was not coming out all the way. I also noticed her laying funny out in the run, sort of on her side. When I checked her closer today, I noticed a swollen, red sac around her vent. It almost looks like she's getting turned inside out. She seems to be pooping o.k., still slowly but it looks normal. There is a pretty foul smell. I've cleaned her off with soap and water, should I feed her yogurt as well? She's separated from the other hens, I'm keeping an eye on her. Any advice is appreciated, I'm pretty worried.

Back
Top Bottom