Hen with lame leg out of no where

brahmamama415

In the Brooder
Jun 26, 2020
Hi Everyone! I have a hen who is about 10 months old, has been laying since the end of winter. 2 Days ago she was running in the yard with a couple of the other girls and all of a sudden she stumbled like as if one of your knees locked. she got up, limped a few times and then just laid down. I have her now in the house in a small dog crate keeping her as comfortable as possible. With her age I would hope to rule out Merricks but was wondering if anyone has any advice or has ever dealt with something like this before? I will of course take her to the vet for a better diagnosis but the avian vet over here has no openings for the next week and a half :(

If this is simply a sprain, keep her off of the leg and give aspirin twice a day. 81 grain chewable from the aspirin section.

If this is something viral or bacterial, you are facing a great unknown. It could be an avian virus like Marek's. If it is, it will get worse.

It could be something mysterious like what I'm dealing with in my flock. Read through this thread and see if it may be similar to your situation. https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...update-now-another-pullet-going-lame.1432738/ It documents all the symptoms and the treatment I've tried.

Currently my two patients have relapsed. But they've also recently come into lay which may have an effect on the disease they're fighting.

Since she was running when it happened then hopefully it is just a sprain. If so it should clear up with rest and aspirin. Do you see any swelling on the foot or leg? Does she react when you touch it or try to move it?

Back
Top Bottom