Hen with severe limp

If you are able to tend to her, I would probably give her a chance to get better, but also if you choose to cull her eventually to end her suffering, I would get the necropsy done to rule out Mareks. You need to know if the virus is on your property, especially if getting other chickens. You also might want to re-read some of the Mareks links in previous posts,especially the Mareks Fac, and Partners links. Keep us informed about her, and I hope she starts feeling better.

I just read the above posts, my hen is in a cage with a similar issue, won't use her leg ,and is using her wing for balance. She does have watery poop. Other than that she is alert ,eating when we bring the dish to her, and will drink. Anyone see a hen use their wing as a crutch? I am new to having chickens. I am wondering if she could have had a stroke or is this just an injury from jumping from a high roost. :/

I just read the above posts, my hen is in a cage with a similar issue, won't use her leg ,and is using her wing for balance. She does have watery poop. Other than that she is alert ,eating when we bring the dish to her, and will drink. Anyone see a hen use their wing as a crutch? I am new to having chickens. I am wondering if she could have had a stroke or is this just an injury from jumping from a high roost. :/
It would be helpful to know how old your chicken is...

It would be advisable to check her leg and foot for signs of injury...any green colouring to her leg? If so..it is likely to be bruising.

Check the underside of her foot...if you see a brown or black raised area..it would indicate "bumblefoot" which is painful and will cause her to limp and use her wing for support...this can be treated.

You should put her feed and water dishes where she can use them without attempting to walk to reach them...feel her keel bone and if you suspect she is not eating enough...contact casportpony..she has amazing information on tube feeding for debilitated chickens.

Good luck!

Last edited:
Did this chicken ever end up surviving?

Back
Top Bottom