Abigail96

In the Brooder
Sep 29, 2018
Hello! Sorry if this is a little lengthy, I just want to include as many helpful details as I can, thank you!

So after bringing my first ever hens home, I noticed one of them was coughing/sneezing a little. I decided to leave her with the flock overnight to not add anymore stress that day, and hope that maybe she’d seem better in the morning.

She was still coughing in the morning, so I quarantined her and went out to get some antibiotics (recommended by a lady at the feed store).

It has been 36 hours on her own, she’s consumed about 2 cups of antibiotic water, has kept a healthy appetite, bright eyes, chatty, and so on. I’m going to continue antibiotics to reach the full 5 recommended days, then see how she does without them for another 3 days.
I have read and been told that a chicken with a cough should basically be culled or not reunited with the flock, font bring in any new chickens to this flock, etc.

However if this is not a parasite or disease, and is assumingly brought on by the stress of the move here, would she be safe to return for the flock? Safe for egg consumption (after a week off of the antibiotics)?

I don’t plan on purchasing any new hens for another 3-4 years at least, and the eggs are not going to be sold, they’re just for me family.

She’s a generally healthy looking and acting chicken otherwise. Friends with chicken experience say she should be fine to return to the flock when I feel she’s ready.

Just looking to do the right thing and not loose any of my hens!
Thank you

Attachments

• FF2B3728-0E5F-48ED-A016-D82B0BBFECFE.jpeg
    FF2B3728-0E5F-48ED-A016-D82B0BBFECFE.jpeg
    549.6 KB · Views: 6
First of all, I think whatever is ailing her, she brought with her from the previous owner.
Chickens don't really get colds.
Avoid getting advice about chickens from feed store employees. I've never known one that graduated from veterinary school with focus on avian pathology.
You did what you were advised but in the future, I wouldn't give antibiotics unless you know they have a bacterial infection that actually can be cured by antibiotics. It is just as likely viral, fungal or environmental.
Good luck with your bird. I hope she recovers.
Just in case she doesn't, be ready to send her off to your state poultry lab for necropsy so you know how to proceed with the rest of your flock. What state are you in?

Moving birds from one place to another is stressful in itself which alone can bring out symptoms of a disease. ChickenCanoe is correct. Birds dont get colds, they get a specific diseases(s.) Since the sneezing and coughing hen was already within your newly acquired flock, it's safe to say that the other birds have been exposed. So, you would end up culling your whole flock.
The exception would be if it's something in the environment that's causing your hen to sneeze and cough, especially since you didnt mention if any other birds were showing the same symptoms. It would be hard to believe that all your non sneezing/non coughing birds would all be carriers of a disease not showing symptoms of the disease, if that makes sense.

I agree that you need to keep stress at a minimum. Provide your flock proper feed and clean water at all times and do not introduce new birds into your new flock.
I recommend that you provide them ProBios in their feed, just follow the directions on the label. ProBios will help build up their immune system. Keep a close eye on your flock for symptoms as well.

We would need to know what antibiotic you're giving your hen, different antibiotics have different egg withdrawal times.
It might be a good idea to worm your new birds as well. I recommend using one of these wormers: Wazine, safeguard liquid goat wormer or valbazen liquid cattle/sheep wormer. Closely inspect all your birds for lice/mites, especially around the vent area.
bd1ea5d1de5aee6ce6a88075e84986fc_image_304x330.jpg

First of all, I think whatever is ailing her, she brought with her from the previous owner.
Chickens don't really get colds.
Avoid getting advice about chickens from feed store employees. I've never known one that graduated from veterinary school with focus on avian pathology.
You did what you were advised but in the future, I wouldn't give antibiotics unless you know they have a bacterial infection that actually can be cured by antibiotics. It is just as likely viral, fungal or environmental.
Good luck with your bird. I hope she recovers.
Just in case she doesn't, be ready to send her off to your state poultry lab for necropsy so you know how to proceed with the rest of your flock. What state are you in?

Thank you for your response. I believe she will be ok, what should I do about returning her to the flock? Should I wait a full three weeks? I’m from Ontario, Canada, I’m thinking she would go to the vet university near here if that were the case.

Moving birds from one place to another is stressful in itself which alone can bring out symptoms of a disease. ChickenCanoe is correct. Birds dont get colds, they get a specific diseases(s.) Since the sneezing and coughing hen was already within your newly acquired flock, it's safe to say that the other birds have been exposed. So, you would end up culling your whole flock.
The exception would be if it's something in the environment that's causing your hen to sneeze and cough, especially since you didnt mention if any other birds were showing the same symptoms. It would be hard to believe that all your non sneezing/non coughing birds would all be carriers of a disease not showing symptoms of the disease, if that makes sense.

I agree that you need to keep stress at a minimum. Provide your flock proper feed and clean water at all times and do not introduce new birds into your new flock.
I recommend that you provide them ProBios in their feed, just follow the directions on the label. ProBios will help build up their immune system. Keep a close eye on your flock for symptoms as well.

We would need to know what antibiotic you're giving your hen, different antibiotics have different egg withdrawal times.
It might be a good idea to worm your new birds as well. I recommend using one of these wormers: Wazine, safeguard liquid goat wormer or valbazen liquid cattle/sheep wormer. Closely inspect all your birds for lice/mites, especially around the vent area.
View attachment 1547395

Thanks for your reply! All other hens do not show symptoms, no plans on bringing in new hens for quite a while. They get Purina’s Organic layer feed, and I throw down some rolled oats and alfalfa hay crumbs for them to peck at during the day. I can get the antibiotic name in a little bit, however I was told to wait a week before consuming any eggs from this hen. I will definitely get some ProBio, thank you.

Yes, Guelph University. Hopefully you'll never need them but it wouldn't hurt to call and see how they want a bird stored, delivered and if they will send you a label for shipping. It is always good to be prepared for anything.

Yes, Guelph University. Hopefully you'll never need them but it wouldn't hurt to call and see how they want a bird stored, delivered and if they will send you a label for shipping. It is always good to be prepared for anything.

For sure, thank you. She’s doing really well this morning. I didn’t hear her cough while I sat with her. What could happen if I return her to the flock in 10 days? The rest of the flock seems healthy. I’ve heard that she could be a “silent carrier” after this, this means that the rest of the flock could still get sick off of her for the rest of their lives, is that correct? :(

That all depends on what was ailing her. With only a cough as a symptom, there is no way to know. Returning her without knowing which one or two of the dozens of possible maladies it was could result in a range of no effect to death to all.

That all depends on what was ailing her. With only a cough as a symptom, there is no way to know. Returning her without knowing which one or two of the dozens of possible maladies it was could result in a range of no effect to death to all.

Oh boy that’s nuts. They’re so different from all of the other animals I have, it’s a little mind blowing! Thanks for your help here

Back
Top Bottom