Hen won’t eat, drink, or move for a week

lunahills

Chirping
May 20, 2021
Shenandoah Valley, VA
I have a buff orpington hen that I assumed was broody 9 days ago when I found her sitting in the egg box. I removed her and put her in the run, and she seemed to be fine other than a purple comb. A day or two later she began sitting around and it was very hot out so I forced her to drink some electrolyte water. It was then that I noticed she’d plucked the feathers from her abdomen, so I continued assuming she was broody. I figured her lack of movement was due to not drinking or eating and feeling lethargic.

It’s now been over a week and she just sits in one spot all day every day. We have her in a dog crate inside the run so the other hens won’t bother her, with access to food and water but we have been either forcing her to drink or syringing electrolyte water into her beak. We’ve also mixed in a nutrient oil so that she’s getting at least a tiny bit of nutrition.

I finally went to Tractor Supply and someone familiar with chickens suggested Duramycin 72-200 injectable because they were out of water soluble antibiotics.

Does anyone have any thoughts on what might be going on? At this point antibiotics are just a shot in the dark. She looks like she’s at deaths door.

I'm sorry to be so blunt, but I would help her through it.
If a hen has outwardly been exhibiting these symptoms for this long, I doubt there is anything that can be done other than a swift release from her suffering.
She actually died last night 😭 Wish I’d posted sooner, but I had read some of other peoples posts here and it seemed very hard to tell what could have happened.

She actually died last night 😭 Wish I’d posted sooner, but I had read some of other peoples posts here and it seemed very hard to tell what could have happened.
I'm sorry. 😔 We are going through this currently. Nothing is working and our Hermione is just lethargic. I feel late to find this thread but it sure seems helpful for a week ago.

Back
Top Bottom