Hen won’t roost

Bayoucrazy

Chirping
Sep 1, 2020
South of New Orleans Louisiana
I have 3, almost 3 yr old hens. They seem to get along most of the time. I also have 5 , 7 week old hens in a closed off area inside of the run. I changed the roosting arrangement in the older ladies coop and noticed that one of them was roosting on the porch of the coop. Not knowing any better and thinking she wasn’t sure if the new roosts I placed her inside. The next night same thing happened so I did it again and placed her up one rung into the rung with the other two ladies and lo and behold one of them started pecking the mess out of her. I lowered her back down a rung and left. Next night she was again roosting on the porch. Is this ok or should I take out the mean little bully and lock her up separate for a few days or just let them sort it out and wait until the young ones are old enough and the pecking order will be shuffled again?? I hate bullies and this is making me mad that poor Dumpling is sleeping out on porch. Granted the entire run and coop is well secured from predators but not from the weather.

The coop is about 6 ft tall and it has a ladder on angle from floor to ceiling with 4 rungs about 30” across each. It also has 3 nesting boxes that extend out of the coop
I knew dumpling was roosting on a separate roost from the other two for a while but always inside.
So a total of 8 birds with 10' total roost? How far are the roost bars from one another?

As far as coop size, how much floor space do they have not including nests?

I’d say close to a foot and half from rung to rung. I’ll take pic tomorrow
IMG_6833.jpeg

This shows the run from my patio
IMG_6834.jpeg

The coop is above the garbage cans (the fence is 6’)
IMG_6835.jpeg

This is the sectioned off area for the babies
IMG_6836.jpeg

This is the “porch” where dumpling sleeps. The door to coop is to the right
IMG_6837.jpeg

A view from the front looking up into coop with the roosts
IMG_6838.jpeg

A view from the door showing the nesting boxes on the right

Attachments

• IMG_6834.jpeg
    IMG_6834.jpeg
    615.1 KB · Views: 6