Hen won't stand-UPDATE: About to inject Tylan, objections? (Pg. 3)

Actually, I do have some vinegar! What is the right concentration?

I think it was draining on both sides, maybe one side a bit more than the other, but I can't remember which one. It seems to have dried up for the most part! There is a little bit of crusty stuff on the same side as the leg she has sticking out, but it's not much at all.

ICallMyselfCherie' :

Actually, I do have some vinegar! What is the right concentration?

I think it was draining on both sides, maybe one side a bit more than the other, but I can't remember which one. It seems to have dried up for the most part! There is a little bit of crusty stuff on the same side as the leg she has sticking out, but it's not much at all.

You may want to go to this site for more information about the ACV. (It's not the kind you find at the grocery store.)
smile.png

http://poultrykeeper.com/common-articles-to-all-poultry/general/apple-cider-vinegar.html

Make sure she is warm and has electrolytes and vitamins and ACV in her water. This will help keep her immune system up.

Next thing to check for would be mites and worms. Hard to see, I myself passed over them and missed them many times, but check check and double check, may even want to give her a light dose of Ivermectin to see if it helps. These can cause the symptoms you described.

Next thing to do past this point would be to start antibiotics. The best all around one for poultry is Tylan.

Let me know if you need more info, I hope this helps!

Wow, thank you so much, you guys!!! I'll be going to the feed store tomorrow to pick those things up. I'll keep you guys posted and I'll ask more later if I still need help!!! Thank you again, you've been such a help!!!
hugs.gif

Hey, you guys. Well, our birdie is still hanging in there, and isn't panting as much. But now she's shaking her head a lot and doesn't seem to want to drink water.
sad.png
I finally got to the feed store, and got a WHOLE BUNCH of stuff. Unfortunately, now I'm more confused than ever.
he.gif

Here's my chicken medicine cabinet now:

Tarramycin (oxytetracycline HCI) Soluble Powder
Sulmet (sulfamethazine sodium) Drinking Water Solution, 12.5%
Gallimycin PFC (Erythromycin) Water Soluble Powder
Rooster Booster Liquid B12 Plus Vitamin K
Red Cell Vitamin-Iton-mineral Suppliment
Vet Rx Poultry Remedy
Tylan 50

I also have ACV, and although it's brownish in color, it is Heinz brand. So . . .
hu.gif

And darn it, I forgot the Ivermectin that WhiteMountainsRanch suggested. So, should I try to substitute one of the other antibiotics in its place?
idunno.gif
And I guess I should do the Tylan . . . I'm kind of nervous about trying it, though . . .
hide.gif

Okay, I'm going to bite the bullet and inject Tylan in a few minutes unless somebody thinks otherwise -- it seems kind of drastic to me, not having done it before. But she doesn't want to drink anything, so I feel like I son't have much of a choice . . .

Back
Top Bottom