Hen won't walk, already treated for scaly leg mites

MegUrk

Songster
6 Years
Apr 16, 2015
Hey guys. A few weeks ago I posted about our buff orpington hen, Bellina, who had suddenly stopped walking and presented with long leg scales and toenails. After a thorough cleaning of the coop, and a dusting of DE, we treated both our hens with ivermectin (1/4-1/2 ml on the affected hen initially, then retreated 11 days later) suspecting scaly leg mites.

She has not really walked in about a month. She kind of scoots around and flaps, but won't get up and walk in earnest. Last week I started giving her tart cherry extract, suspecting gout (1-2 425mg capsules daily, which I've been sprinkling on cut up cantaloupe because I read vitamin A deficiency can be a contributing factor, plus I figured extra fluids in the fruit would be good). We have placed a ground level waterer near the spot where she spends most of the day so she has access to water. We feed lay crumbles (low protein during the warm months) along with cooking scraps (mostly vegetables that I've checked are safe, and occasionally a crust of bread or some cooked pasta dishes, being careful to limit sodium).

She seems alert and otherwise relatively normal. Eats, drinks (though I would imagine not as much as she should), her eyes are clear, her comb is pink to red, she clucks when we come up to the coop... But today she has diarrhea, and she just doesn't seem to be getting better.

I called all the local vets I was told might treat chickens and none will help. I'm worried about her sleeping on the ground as the cold moves in, but I have stopped moving her to the roost at night because it seemed to be adding to her stress/discomfort.

I think I'll try mixing apple cider vinegar into her water when I refill it this afternoon because read that urine acidification can be beneficial in treating gout, but is there anything else I can give her without a more specific diagnosis that *could* be helpful and won't otherwise be dangerous? Something like Turmeric? I'm feeling like I don't have any good options because I don't have a clear diagnosis and I don't really know how to get one.

I've attached a photo I took of her foot, when she was adjusting her position. She had been sitting in a frog-like posture, but now, he often looks more like she's lounging with her legs out to one side. I'll try to attach a photo of that as well, but it's not working at the moment.

Attachments

• 16020214517036110534723560299008.jpg
    16020214517036110534723560299008.jpg
    733.6 KB · Views: 145
She has not really walked in about a month. She kind of scoots around and flaps, but won't get up and walk in earnest.
What is her age? And where are you located? Do you have a link to the prior post about her?

Sorry you face this.. it sounds like it could be neurological in nature, sometimes vitamin related.. sometimes viral, or genetic.

Bird pass all their urate in droppings as well.. diarrhea would probably be persistent,

Sorry you face this.. after not walking for already a month.. it will challenging to get her to walk again without doing some physical therapy.. she MIGHT benefit from a chicken sling..
1602022603805.png

1602022625146.png

If you are in the US there are better supplements for a chicken then tart cherry extract.. Rooster Booster brand Poultry Cell product or Poultry nutridrench.. Is she laying eggs? When was her last eggs? If not.. layer feed isn't going to help her. Table scraps won't help a nutrient deficit and who said low protein during summer.. that's some crud.. it's either protein carbs or fat.. that gives energy.

Was she vaccinated against Marek's? Is it one of the options you've considered already?
Marek's Virus FAQ

This would be top suspect depending on age and other answers.

:fl

So sorry for you, I would guess something in her diet. This is something you probably want to consult about with your vet. I have never had anything happen like this to me before.

What is her age? And where are you located? Do you have a link to the prior post about her?

Sorry you face this.. it sounds like it could be neurological in nature, sometimes vitamin related.. sometimes viral, or genetic.

Bird pass all their urate in droppings as well.. diarrhea would probably be persistent,

Sorry you face this.. after not walking for already a month.. it will challenging to get her to walk again without doing some physical therapy.. she MIGHT benefit from a chicken sling..
View attachment 2362879
View attachment 2362880
If you are in the US there are better supplements for a chicken then tart cherry extract.. Rooster Booster brand Poultry Cell product or Poultry nutridrench.. Is she laying eggs? When was her last eggs? If not.. layer feed isn't going to help her. Table scraps won't help a nutrient deficit and who said low protein during summer.. that's some crud.. it's either protein carbs or fat.. that gives energy.

Was she vaccinated against Marek's? Is it one of the options you've considered already?
Marek's Virus FAQ

This would be top suspect depending on age and other answers.

:fl

We're in central New Mexico, US. We got her from a feed store at 3 days old, so unless the hatchery vaccinated them, then she has not received any vaccinations. She will be 7 in the spring, so when she started exhibiting these symptoms, we thought she was a goner as we know they don't live much past 7 or 8.

We were told to buy "high protein" feed in the cooler months, is all I meant by that, so currently we aren't feeding them the high protein feed. She had been laying, somewhat irregularly (she's always been hit or miss) but hasn't since we started noticing these symptoms. I didn't think to buy her new food during this...

We did build her a sling, but it seemed to make her panicked after a bit and we were afraid she would further injure herself.

I guess I'm trying to balance losing my mind trying to fix her and spending a fortune, or feeling like I hadn't done enough to try to help our pour old gal. 🙁

Attachments

• 20200912_160103.jpg
    20200912_160103.jpg
    832.5 KB · Views: 74
oh bless her little cotton socks! She is quite elderly and may well be at the end of her life. Keep doing what you are doing. If it gets fixed then great, but if not then you may lose her anyway. she is getting top notch care and love, that is all you can do.

oh bless her little cotton socks! She is quite elderly and may well be at the end of her life. Keep doing what you are doing. If it gets fixed then great, but if not then you may lose her anyway. she is getting top notch care and love, that is all you can do.

Thanks. Yeah, like I said... We assumed this was it for her since she's an old lady. But she's been hanging in there for so long now we just feel bad that she's in a lump on the ground all day. Poor old gal.

So sorry for you, I would guess something in her diet. This is something you probably want to consult about with your vet. I have never had anything happen like this to me before.
Our vet said they won't help us. And the offices they recommended won't help either.

We're in central New Mexico, US. We got her from a feed store at 3 days old, so unless the hatchery vaccinated them, then she has not received any vaccinations. She will be 7 in the spring, so when she started exhibiting these symptoms, we thought she was a goner as we know they don't live much past 7 or 8.
Oh dear.. She's lovely! Her age COMPLETELY changes my thoughts and suggestions.. Marek's is NOT her issue, IMO.. and it may very well be age related... having nothing to do with disease at all.

To me those large scales on her legs and toenails don't even look like what I would expect from scaly leg mite.. none of the yellow crusty stuff coming out from under the scales, I have not yet seen it in person. To me.. it looks more like a possibility of excess keratin growth (*maybe* genetic condition more than nutritional??).. the only links I could find with information on the subject or possibilities..
https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/pdf/10.1080/03079458908418580

http://www.poultrydvm.com/condition/biotin-deficiency

At some point.. I hope you can consider that.. She had a fantastic life with you and euthanasia is sometimes kinder than dying slowly. Is euthanasia something that the vet can help you with if you need to consider it? As painful as it can be to make that decision.. :(

When she has to make effort to get every breath.. due to organ failure.. ie heart not pumping as well and liver or kidneys not filtering toxins.. which often leads to fluid build up in the lungs and other tissues.

The every breath struggle is one of my factors.. the next one would be appetite.. when they stop showing interest in food.. their body is not likely able to utilize it anymore. So instead of loosing your mind trying to fix her and stay within your financial means.. better choice would be lose you mind, enjoying the time you have left with your feathered friend.. none of us are immortal and no amount of $ can change that. It seem as though you have provided for and supported her through a good life.

At her age and with all the information I have right now.. I am NOT a licensed veterinarian or a professional.. these are just MY opinions, according to my experience and understanding..

I would be seriously shocked if she did ever walk again. I also wouldn't expect her to recover or for leg scales to change the way they look as that's a very slow process.

But if she's actively eating, able to hold her head up and interact, maybe dirt bathing still.. not sitting in feces, and YOU are able and/or willing to upkeep.. then by all means.. try to enjoy it for what it is.. knowing all of us our time is short and we will likely have to say goodbye before we are ready. :hugs

I'm a jerk for being frank and I'm sorry for that! Your gals lived a long life and that's in part due to your care. If you are going to consider still keeping chickens.. maybe you want to bring in a couple chicks before to long to winter the older lady(s). Use your best judgement and go with YOUR heart what in the interest of your ladies and your family, including yourSELF! Humane means doing what's right for YOU also. New life *helps* us a lot at my place. Get chicks, when you're ready! :oops:

Back
Top Bottom