hens are 6 mothes old and not laying

bobelot

Songster
7 Years
HI !!!! i have three red sussex hens and they were supposed to start laying last month and one did but the other two still havent!!!!! one is really skinny for some reason and seems a bit slow but he is all happy and normal and the other chicken is really big compared to my skinny chicken (named fang) but her comb is still tiny. why arent they laying !!!!!!!! oh and its starting to get cold and there is less daylight. Any suggestions why they are not laying yet?

Chickens can't read the books that say they must start laying by a certain age.
wink.png
Yes, this time of year with decreasing daylight hours is going to be a factor, but so is their individuality (and their breed). How old exactly are these chickens?

Secondly, what are you feeding them? I hate to answer your ? with more questions but breed, enviroment and feeding regimen are all factors to be considered.

Fang may be a late bloomer or she may not be 100% healthy. Is she getting her fair share of time at the feeder or do the other two keep her from it?

If it makes you feel any better I have 7 seven month old pullets right now and only two of the 7 are laying. They are a late maturing breed and I know from experience with this breed that the rest may not start laying anytime soon; at least before the days start getting longer again in late December.

welcome-byc.gif

they are all 22 weeks and 3 days (i did the math)
fang is always slow so when i put some treat out she is usually the last one to reach the food
we live in the city but its weird how they are not scared of the traffic
it been raining alot lately so they are under the stairs clucking at each other
and i am not surwe what kind of feed im giving them but i got it at the farm/store so its probably good for them
but im thinking of putting a heating lamp in there coop do u think i regular heating lamp is better or those red ones?

They don't need a heat lamp.

22 weeks is still really young. I currently have a 35 week old that still has yet to lay. They are not egg machines, you just have to be patient. They will lay when their bodies are ready to lay.

um.... well okay thanks its just that i thought its kinda weird that one is laying but two are not. but it is my first time with chickens and i stil have more to learn

Hens grow up at different rates, just like kids. Think back to Jr. High, when some boys were practically shaving and some were still skinny with high voices? When some girls had boobs and some didn't? In any group of animals, you'll have some mature faster.

I raised a group of 12 buff Rocks for a friend. They would be 28 weeks old this week. I saw them a week ago, and some had nice red combs and some combs were still pale and small. I have a group of 10 EEs right now, and out of that group, two are laying and the others aren't. It doesn't happen at the same time for all birds.

They don't need a heat lamp.

22 weeks is still really young. I currently have a 35 week old that still has yet to lay. They are not egg machines, you just have to be patient. They will lay when their bodies are ready to lay.
I agree with Happy. No heat lamp needed.
The traffic noises don't bother them probably for the same reason the cows don't bother mine, they're used to them.
I get my locally milled feed from the feedstore too, but I get four different kinds. One is a feed is appropriate for my laying hens (layer pellet), one is a all purpose crumble feed (for my seramas that are of different ages and not all ready for layer feed), one is a feed that is for waterfowl and yet another is a scratch grain mix that everyone can eat as a treat. My point is, there are different poultry feeds available based on the age and nutritional requirements of the birds. At 22 weeks I would be feeding a grower or a layer feed.

thanks guys that made me feel better cause i thought there was a problem and another question i am not sure how pale there combs are until u know that they are sick can i see some pics of unnaturally pale combs

It would be better if you posted a photo of your hens instead. Then we can look at the specific birds and give you better advice.

Back
Top Bottom