Hens are afraid of rooster

kab57

Hatching
Aug 17, 2023
Looking for advice. I have 8 hens and 1 rooster. In the morning I always opened the door and everyone would pop out. However, lately only the rooster initially comes out and everyone else hangs back until someone decides to be the first victim. I've also noticed some of the chickens have at least 1 chunk of feathers missing and while I haven't actually been able to see damage being done I assume it's the rooster. Is the only option to remove the rooster? If so, is processing the rooster a standard option and where/how do you get it done? I assume re-homing will not be easy. Thanks.

:welcome If is just a cockerel in a flock of pullets, I would remove him until the pullets reach sexual maturity. If it is a rooster, I would remove him permanently.

:welcome If is just a cockerel in a flock of pullets, I would remove him until the pullets reach sexual maturity. If it is a rooster, I would remove him permanently.
I second this. If your hens aren’t of laying age yet, they are not ready to accept the advances of your “rooster”. If they’re all the same age and hatched this year, they are pullets and a cockerel. He will sexually mature much faster than they will, so he will be wanting to mate, and they will resist.

All my hens have been laying as they were all born either in Spring 2022 or prior years. It's only been recently that they have become reluctant to leave the coop and the injuries (missing small clumps of feathers down to skin) are also very recent - the injuries more recent than the reluctance to leave the coop.
How old is the rooster? If he’s also an adult, I’d give serious consideration to removing him from the flock.

ETA - have you seen him causing the missing feathers? I don’t know anything about feather mites, but wondering if those could be a possibility.

Have your hens started to molt? If so, they will be reluctant to his mating attempts and if he insists and grabs them roughly, he might even do damage to their skin.

How old is the rooster? If he’s also an adult, I’d give serious consideration to removing him from the flock.

ETA - have you seen him causing the missing feathers? I don’t know anything about feather mites, but wondering if those could be a possibility.
I have not seen him causing missing feathers - going on the assumption that everyone looked undamaged until a couple of weeks ago. At any rate - the rooster has been removed. I guess I'll see if everyone heals up nicely and will now come out of the coop in the morning. I appreciate all the helpful replies.

Back
Top Bottom