Hens are loosing their feathers; seems super random

nicksuter

In the Brooder
Aug 29, 2023
Hoping this is the right board for this… We have 20 chickens total (19 + 1) and I’ve noticed over the last 6 months or so; they’re feathers continue to fall out.

Some are on their neck and head. Most are around their tail feathers and up their backs.

They all seem to be eating well (layer feed from a local source) and laying without issues; I thought it might be molting, but I’m really not sure… I’ve tried to read up on it, but the answers do not seem to be helping.

My outdoor run is gravel - I’ve started dumping bag upon bag of dust bath in areas to give them something to root around in and have a dust bath with.

Any thoughts/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

-Nick

Attachments

• IMG_9096.jpeg
    IMG_9096.jpeg
    950.3 KB · Views: 86
  • IMG_9097.jpeg
    IMG_9097.jpeg
    729.7 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_9098.jpeg
    IMG_9098.jpeg
    586.8 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_9100.jpeg
    IMG_9100.jpeg
    896 KB · Views: 7
Do you have a rooster?
Are any of them bullies?
How many of them have lost feathers?
We have one rooster; but he’s only been around since May (we got some new chicks) and this has been happening longer than that.

It’s primarily 6 or 7 birds that I see with feather loss.

What protein is the feed? Full diet? Have you checked for mites?
How much space do they have?
Their inside coop is 16x18’ and the outside run is 12x18’.

How do I check for mites?

They are on layer feed (picture attached) and other treats (cracked corn, meal worms, crickets, etc)

Attachments

• IMG_9101.jpeg
    IMG_9101.jpeg
    485.7 KB · Views: 6

They are on layer feed (picture attached) and other treats (cracked corn, meal worms, crickets, etc)
Thanks.
Cut out or backball the treats, it's not helping them at the moment.
I'd find a higher protein feed, at 18%+.
Going into your coop at night, run your hand under the roosts, if it come back red, you have mites.
Treat by cleaning out your coop, applying permethrine based spray or dust in ever corner and crevice and get new bedding and litter. You can also spray your birds.

Thanks.
Going into your coop at night, run your hand under the roosts, if it come back red, you have mites.
Treat by cleaning out your coop, applying permethrine based spray or dust in ever corner and crevice and get new bedding and litter. You can also spray your birds.
Agreed!

Thanks.
Thanks! I’ll check for mites tonight and then find a higher protein food. No more treats - my kids won’t be happy 😊

Hoping this is the right board for this… We have 20 chickens total (19 + 1) and I’ve noticed over the last 6 months or so; they’re feathers continue to fall out.

Some are on their neck and head. Most are around their tail feathers and up their backs.

They all seem to be eating well (layer feed from a local source) and laying without issues; I thought it might be molting, but I’m really not sure… I’ve tried to read up on it, but the answers do not seem to be helping.

My outdoor run is gravel - I’ve started dumping bag upon bag of dust bath in areas to give them something to root around in and have a dust bath with.

Any thoughts/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

-Nick
Loss looks like typical mating damage and some plucking.

Lost/rubbed off/broken feathers will not be replaced until they molt so while it's not a bad idea to up the protein content of your feed, it will not make them replace those feathers any faster since you're waiting on molt.

The 18% protein feed your feeding is a decent amount of protein to feed as long as you limit treats.👇

1693367787909.png

Back
Top Bottom