Hens attacking other hens

jabou29

Songster
Jan 1, 2022
Hi, I recently introduced my older hens to my 3 5 month old Wyandotte pullets and my 2 Ameraucana cockerel and pullet that are 4 months old and one of my older hens has accepted the 3 wyandottes but for some reason has it out for the 2 Ameraucanas. She’s pecking at them to the point where there’s blood and she’s pulling out their feathers. Now I put her in a dog crate in the pen while the others was loose but she’s still head hen..even after putting her there. My Wyandotte’s did submit to her but my Ameraucanas are so terrified that they stay in the corner of the pen and don’t move which get her agitated and she attacks them harder. 😕 I don’t know what to do. If it comes to it I’ll build another areas for those two but wanted to see if anyone else had some advice? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

How long did you do see but no touch before letting the birds mingle?

Any photos of your set up, as well as measurements? How does the run area look - big empty area, or cluttered up with plenty of hiding places and stuff low and high? How many feeders do yu have?
I don’t have any photos at the moment but it’s 10’w x 15’L and the coops on the outside of it. I put them in various dog crates for almost 2 weeks in the pen so the older hens could see but not touch. I have logs inside of it along with perching areas so they can get away.

I don’t have any photos at the moment but it’s 10’w x 15’L and the coops on the outside of it. I put them in various dog crates for almost 2 weeks in the pen so the older hens could see but not touch. I have logs inside of it along with perching areas so they can get away.
I have 3 feeders all in different areas of the pen along with 3 water areas. I did a lot of research before I put them out but I’m thinking maybe I was impatient and should’ve waited a bit longer. My head hen is just picking on my 2 Ameraucanas. Which are white splashed and she’s a red Rhode Island so I’m not sure if color and breed factor in which maybe i missed out when I was doing my research. 🤦🏻‍♀
My Wyandotte’s are golden and blue laced.

Hmm, sounds good (and photos would be great to confirm) but depending on how much clutter there is, maybe try cluttering up even more (even if temporarily) to really break up the space so the picked on birds have as many hiding spots as possible. The idea being that you can't see from one side of the run clear to the other no matter where you're looking from.

Other than that, consider pinless peepers on the bully, because if she's drawing blood, she's going too far.

Hmm, sounds good (and photos would be great to confirm) but depending on how much clutter there is, maybe try cluttering up even more (even if temporarily) to really break up the space so the picked on birds have as many hiding spots as possible. The idea being that you can't see from one side of the run clear to the other no matter where you're looking from.

Other than that, consider pinless peepers on the bully, because if she's drawing blood, she's going too far.
Hi, sorry for the late response but I found out why my older hen was attacking those two specifically. I believe it’s because they won’t submit to her. I separated the cockerel from the pullet to see if the bullying would stop and it did. I separated him from the whole flock Saturday evening and all day Sunday there was no signs of blood nor her being a target by my head hen. She has submitted to her aswell. I will leave my boy separated till he grows a bit more. As he was panting due to the stress of being bullied by my head hen. He is smaller than my hen right now. Thank you guys for the advice. I will also add my hiding spots too and I did add more perching areas so if they need to get higher to get away in case any bullying starts up again.

I have 3 feeders all in different areas of the pen along with 3 water areas. I did a lot of research before I put them out but I’m thinking maybe I was impatient and should’ve waited a bit longer. My head hen is just picking on my 2 Ameraucanas. Which are white splashed and she’s a red Rhode Island so I’m not sure if color and breed factor in which maybe i missed out when I was doing my research. 🤦🏻‍♀
My Wyandotte’s are golden and blue laced.
It may be that it was to soon. But it is hard to tell with chickens. I have both those breeds, never had any trouble with I trouncing my red's to other breeds before. However, our chicks practically grow up next to our main flock.

You've already been given some great advice, but here's a few other ideas

You could try keeping the chicks in a chicken tractor in or within sight of your birds for a while. could try chicken treats to distract the adults while the youngsters are out. and one thing we do as a last resort is to remove the problem hen for a while, a few days at least, had to do that with a few of my silkies before. It can change the dynamic of the flock though, even if it gives the chicks a chance to settle in and gain confidence, that's why it is a last resort.

Update:
My hens haven’t pulled any blood on anyone as of today which is a good sign but I did change the flocks dynamics. I noticed it wasn’t my head hen who was attacking to the point of blood. It was my biggest hen whom is always with my head hen. So I removed her and allowed the other girls to settle then put her back in and she got knocked down a few notches by my head hen and my head hen took the little Ameraucana under her wing! So no more fights! Thankfully! I’ll wait a few bit longer to introduce my cockerel back into the flock when he grows a bit more. Plus I just got another roo and want them to get to know each other from afar but I’ll be patient this time. 😅

Back
Top Bottom