Hens attacking rooster?

It depends on where you live in the world or the United States if you need a prescription to purchase antibiotics.

If you do not live in the States, this info won't be of much use, but I'll provide it anyway.

Tylan 50 can be ordered here https://www.valleyvet.com/ct_detail.html?pgguid=30E07BC1-7B6A-11D5-A192-00B0D0204AE5 or you might find it at feed or pet stores.

PCR test can be had from this place. These folks will send you the testing materials and do the test. Zoologix Inc 9811 Owensmouth Ave, STE 4, Chatsworth, CA, 91311-9547 818-717-8880 www.zoologix.com This test is also around $100.

Updated photos

Isolating the ones in the holder pen away from each other and from our other chickens

1) bluebell (left) left eye swollen shut this AM with some yellowing possibly pus bubbles forming and a bloody beak, welsummer (right) sleepy/lethargic

2) appears to be bloody stool

3) welsummer bare back with black or scabbed spots

4) more stool

Attachments

• D087761B-585D-4C3A-96F4-6880F930A835.jpeg
    D087761B-585D-4C3A-96F4-6880F930A835.jpeg
    454.1 KB · Views: 5
  • 5EA484DD-D1D0-48F0-BD72-3C65C4400398.jpeg
    5EA484DD-D1D0-48F0-BD72-3C65C4400398.jpeg
    434.5 KB · Views: 5
  • 0C569E73-C6A9-4770-8D97-04D53C75AE56.jpeg
    0C569E73-C6A9-4770-8D97-04D53C75AE56.jpeg
    771.4 KB · Views: 5
  • 841DF99C-A9C4-4317-8822-132C3B305BEE.jpeg
    841DF99C-A9C4-4317-8822-132C3B305BEE.jpeg
    482.4 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
How much space do you have for housing (sq ft)?

Initially from your first photos I would say Fowl Pox (first photo I display below).
Second photo I display below, she looks to still have Fowl Pox, but more injury to the beak, did she injure it when moved to the new pen? Maybe thrashing about, sticking her beak through wire, etc.?

The Welsummer has suddenly come up with those feathers missing or how long has that been going on?

Giving the Tylan50 probably won't hurt, but I'd look into getting a Sulfa Drug since the poop is a bit questionable. May be stress related, Coccidiosis, etc. Hard to know.

Yes. Pullets and hens can absolutely be aggressive to cockerels or vice versa. Chickens are not always very nice to one another.

For her eye, I'd open it up and see if there is pus in there. If there is, then remove it while rinsing with saline. Apply a dot of Terramycin eye ointment in the eye.
For the lesions on the beak, I'd paint them with Iodine.

Do look inside her beak for any lesions, plagues or canker.

For the Welsummer. A chunk of feathers are missing. I have seen feathers rubbed off over time from mating, seen feather plucked while fighting, but if that whole chunk is missing all at once, you have a predator (seen that too).

1662920660090.jpeg

1662920677041.jpeg

How much space do you have for housing (sq ft)?

Initially from your first photos I would say Fowl Pox (first photo I display below).
Second photo I display below, she looks to still have Fowl Pox, but more injury to the beak, did she injure it when moved to the new pen? Maybe thrashing about, sticking her beak through wire, etc.?

The Welsummer has suddenly come up with those feathers missing or how long has that been going on?

Giving the Tylan50 probably won't hurt, but I'd look into getting a Sulfa Drug since the poop is a bit questionable. May be stress related, Coccidiosis, etc. Hard to know.

Yes. Pullets and hens can absolutely be aggressive to cockerels or vice versa. Chickens are not always very nice to one another.

For her eye, I'd open it up and see if there is pus in there. If there is, then remove it while rinsing with saline. Apply a dot of Terramycin eye ointment in the eye.
For the lesions on the beak, I'd paint them with Iodine.

Do look inside her beak for any lesions, plagues or canker.

For the Welsummer. A chunk of feathers are missing. I have seen feathers rubbed off over time from mating, seen feather plucked while fighting, but if that whole chunk is missing all at once, you have a predator (seen that too).

View attachment 3256469

View attachment 3256471
Thank you for the thorough response!

MEDS
I’m in CA so I’ll have to go thru vet for prescription for tylan and terramycin since TSC and valleyvet doesn’t supply it here or ship. I wonder if amoxicillin would help? That’s the only I have on hand at the moment. I went ahead with nutridrench and vetrx in the meantime and can apply the iodine, vetrx seemed to help open up the swollen eye for a bit.

SQ FT
Their holder pen which I use for any new chickens is 50 sqft ground floor with a raised 10 sqft cage they can sit inside or on top of. Roosting bars included but they usually go inside or on top of the cage. I used this for 2 deathlayers, the welsummer and bluebell (all about 3-4 mo). They all came from same flock.

In a smaller holder area 10 sqft I put two smaller chicks from the same flock (both about 2 mo). I moved them into the larger pen temporarily, but it seemed to cause stress so I put them back in the smaller ‘pen’…it’s very likely they are exposed to whatever is going through the others.

BEAK
Bluebell was thrashing around a lot during move to cage, new blood likely from opening nearby sore(s) and injury. I cleaned it up some, but still scabbing/dry blood as seen in photo.

BACK FEATHERS
Welsummer’s back has had bare spots since taking her in about 2.5 weeks ago which were regrowing for about the first week, but has since lost more feathers. I attributed it to the roo attempting to mount and getting picked on.

OTHER
The welsummer started to sneeze earlier. I’ve separated them now into their own individual cages away from our other birds. The deathlayer is also in her own cage while we disinfect the holder pen. She seems to be doing fine for the most part. The two chicks remain in their original smaller pen.

Also thank you everyone for your responses and help! I will take all the info I’ve received and continue to monitor and treat them. I am staying hopeful! :fl

Are all these birds new to you?

I'd make sure to provide some electrolytes to the stressed birds. Her thrashing around like that is stress.

See that they are eating well and drinking.

Access the amount of space you have for the amount of birds you have. Increase space or decrease the number of birds you have accordingly.

General rule of thumb is 4sq ft of coop space and 10sq ft of run space per bird. Some need more space, while others can be happy with less.

Back
Top Bottom