Hens been sick for weeks

Sanchez

In the Brooder
Jul 21, 2016
my hen JoJo has been sick for weeks, she’s lost a lot of weight, took her to two different vets, she been on antibiotics, first I thought maybe worms, nope, then an impacted or sour crop, nope, know I’m wondering if it’s her gizzard, I’ve been doing olive oil two to three times daily, she dehydrated so I’ve been hand watering her multiple times every day, her poop is green and foamy white, I’ve been noticing meat chunks in her poop in the morning, about the size of a dime, no blood, could it be pieces of her gizzard, she will eat bugs, worms , corn, yogurt, nothing hard and not much , she’s a Rhode Island and now only weighs 3.5 pds. Help!! Please any suggestions, if she continues I will have to put her down, can’t stand to see suffering and want to help her.

How old is she? Did the vets find anything? Did they do fecal testing? Any imaging? You suspected a crop issue, so is the crop not emptying well? Depending on her age, a reproductive problem is possible. Is her abdomen below the vent and between the legs bloated at all, water balloon like, or hard? If you have a picture of the 'meat' you found in droppings that would maybe be helpful. I'm wondering if it's actually lash egg material.
There are some pictures here, see if it looks like what you are seeing:
https://the-chicken-chick.com/salpingitis-lash-eggs-in-backyard/

She is 2/12 years old, the last time she layed was 3 months ago, she started molting, which was just here and there, so of course I assumed that’s why she isn’t laying. He didn’t do any testing, I’m from Moses Lake wa, and vetsthat know about chicken a next to nothing, he did think by her fecal matter she was dehydrated so that’s why I’m making sure she drinks often, and olive oil morning and night. He did feel her crop and didn’t think it was the problem, but to me and what I’ve read it’s surpose to be flat in the morning and it not, it’s hard, I will take pics when I get home from work and see if it looks like anything you’ve seen in the fecal matter. Her stomach is not swollen at all, she so skinny all you feel is bone, I’ll take a look at the website and see if it’s anything like that. Thank you so much for replying , any help I can get will be appreciated, she such a sweetie.

How old is she? Did the vets find anything? Did they do fecal testing? Any imaging? You suspected a crop issue, so is the crop not emptying well? Depending on her age, a reproductive problem is possible. Is her abdomen below the vent and between the legs bloated at all, water balloon like, or hard? If you have a picture of the 'meat' you found in droppings that would maybe be helpful. I'm wondering if it's actually lash egg material.
There are some pictures here, see if it looks like what you are seeing:
https://the-chicken-chick.com/salpingitis-lash-eggs-in-backyard/

It does look a lot like this pic, if chats what it is can I save her?

Attachments

• DA3CB535-5E52-43A3-BC9E-90DE58F98045.png
    DA3CB535-5E52-43A3-BC9E-90DE58F98045.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 10
My vet is putting her on different antibiotics today, hopefully that will help help and keep plenty of fluids down her and probiotics also.

If it is salpingitis, then if it's caught early enough antibiotics may treat it. Often once symptoms are seen it's pretty advanced and may not respond to treatment. It is worth a try to see if it helps. I've lost several to salpingitis, none responded to treatment, but I have read of others who's birds have. If the crop is slow or not moving food, it can be a symptom also due to pressure on her digestive tract from the matter building inside her. Diagnosing a gizzard blockage can be difficult unless something (like a foreign object eaten) shows up on xray. When you give her liquids or oil, massage the crop to see if you can get it to loosen up so it's not a hard mass. Slow crops can also feel doughy, when you massage it it feels like bread dough, for doughy crop I've used this to help break it up, but it may recur if the underlying problem is still there.
Mix 1/2 tsp baking soda, 1/2 tsp ginger powder, 1/2 tsp cinnamon powder, 1/2 tsp chili powder, a squirt of lemon juice, 2 tablespoons of water. Give it 1/2 ml at a time orally until all of it is given, and massage the crop often while giving it. Do 3 times a day.
Hopefully the antibiotics will help. If she does not make it, consider a necropsy to tell you for sure what happened. Information can be useful and can bring peace of mind.

Poor little JoJo! It is so hard when they aren’t doing well and you don’t know what to do. I wish I had some advice for you - hopefully someone else will. But I can pray for her and for you and for the vets that are treating her. I hope you find the information you need to help her. Please let know how she is doing.

Thank you coach 723 I will try that, at this point I will try anything, she does eat a little still, but mainly bugs and worms and soft veggies, like cucumbers and corn and watermelon, to me anything is better then nothing. Thank you Little Creepers, prayers always helps.

Back
Top Bottom