Hens "Cock Fighting"

Chick15

Songster
8 Years
Apr 21, 2011
Well, im not sure if thats what its called, but its when they go all in each others face and fluff up their feathers on there back, my Roo's do it frequently but occasionally I see my Hens doing it too... Is this normal?

I've seen young hens do that when they mature enough to challenge the pecking order. I've seen mature hens and adolescent roosters face off like that, again when challenging the pecking order. I admit I have not seen two mature hens in a well established flock face off (except if one is a broody protecting her chicks, then look out!), but I would not be real concerned if they did.

I have seen mature hens do it under a couple different situations. First is when a hen of high rank inclinations (used to being dominant) is introduced to a new social group. She will usually match up with higher ranking birds of existing flock and proceede to fight. Usually she will attempt to start at top and work her way down order. Usually she will not have whip them all. If she gets whipped, she will concentrate on hens she estimates to be potentially lower ranking. This proceedes until position in social order established. Normally (under natural conditions) this occurs in smaller groups of hens (< 5 is my guess). With captive flocks this can occur in much larger social groupings which makes figuring out you place more difficult. Second situation typical of whole flock moved to a new location. They seem to act as if they do not know each other and proceede to define or redefine social order.

It is mainly two (maybe the same, maybe different) SLW's.... they are not really mature... 13 weeks, and have been doing this for awhille.

This in my experience is normal behavior and can range from 'play' or 'practice' fighting to full blown, knock down, drag out pecking order establishment type fights.

I've never seen the Real Deal but our girls (16 week old pullets) do the run up and chest bump all the time. Never lasts more than two seconds but it is actually quite hilarious and entertaining. The hackles on the back of our Brown Leghorn stick straight out and she looks like some crazed wild bird. The Ameraucanas' neck feathers puff all up so they look like Queen Elizabeth I with her big collar thingie. Sometimes they'll jump up in the air and do a turn, then they settle in and go back to whatever they were doing before. It's almost like a dance routine instead of fighting.

Maybe it will get more combative as they get older but right now it seems to be a way of establishing the strongest, biggest, quickest, or whatever--WITHOUT drawing blood.

I just let my 15 week old flock of 8 - 2 roos and 6 pullets - out of their coop/enclosed run area for the first time this weekend. They were all doing the chest bump, fluffed feathers, fly at each other thing, and I've never seen them do it before quite with that much exuberance. I didn't take it to be mean at all, almost like play. The energy I got from them was of excitement at their new free-ranging freedom. They were definitely making us laugh!

Quote:
I agree that sometimes they look like their dancing. My chickens and turkeys do it all the time. The turkeys are alittle more graceful and remind me of a ballet. As long as there is not feathers flying or bloody combs I just sit and watch them from outside the fence. Now when I add new birds to the flock I sit inside the fence to play ref. with in a few days they chill out .

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom