Hens digging under fence

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Terry S, Sep 15, 2014.

1. Terry S

Terry S Out Of The Brooder

Apr 9, 2014
    Durham Maine
    My hens have dug in their pen to the point that they are undermining the fence around their pen and a few have gotten out from under it. Any suggestions on how to prevent this?

2. Folly's place

Folly's place Chicken Obsessed

Sep 13, 2011
    southern Michigan
    If they can dig out, any predator can get in. Fix ASAP before your flock is wiped out. Buried wire, concrete base, or some serious dig proof combination, with hardware cloth used. Pictures would help. Mary

3. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    Excellent point.

For the problem of the hens getting out, I would do a "reverse anti-dig skirt" - meaning run a skirting of wire under the surface of the run that extends inward 1-2 feet so that when they dig down they encounter the wire and are not able to get under the perimeter and out. To prevent predators digging in you will want to install the same skirting on the outside perimeter of the pen.

4. Terry S

Terry S Out Of The Brooder

Apr 9, 2014
    Durham Maine
    Thanks for the advice. I do have a skirt outside for predators but didn't realize those girls would find a way around that. You're right! Anything can get in those spots!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by